More about DVD

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2001
      Continuing the saga about the shameful per^H^H^Hprosecution of people
      distributing DeCSS (the code needed to view DVDs in Linux, or any any other
      not-official-sanctioned DVD player), I found two funny, or at least
      interesting, pages:

      http://decss.zoy.org/ - 42 ways to distribute DeCSS
      ---------------------
      This one is really funny. My favorite is the way he put the compressed
      source code as DNS zones, and then use dvdcca.org's own name servers
      to get them! Is that ironic, or what :) Try the following:

      for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org @206.40.40.1
      done | perl -ne 's/\.//g; print pack("H224",$1) if(/^x([^z]*)/)' | gunzip

      AMAZING :)
      Another amazing feature of this page is that just by looking at it
      (and the page itself doesn't contain any visible code), you have
      already downloaded one or two versions of the source code! Read the
      page for an explanation why.

      http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ - Gallery of CSS Descramblers
      Similar to the previous page, but more screenshots, and other
      wierd versions of the DeCSS program, including a seven line
      obfuscated perl program (but which requires you to decrypt the title
      key yourself) and versions of the program in non-existant computer
      and human languages, which supposedly make "free speech", and not
      source code :)

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Mar 8 2001, 13 Adar 5761
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The socks in my drawer are like
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2001
        > AMAZING :)
        > Another amazing feature of this page is that just by
        > looking at it
        > (and the page itself doesn't contain any visible
        > code), you have
        > already downloaded one or two versions of the source
        > code! Read the
        > page for an explanation why.

        Ha! hidding the decss code in html comments is cute.
        Even better would be coding it in javascript as part of the page :-)