interesting article

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 6:35 AM
      I just saw John Gilmore's article "What's Wrong With Copy Protection" from
      two weeks ago, in

      http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html

      This is probably the best-written article I've read on this subject, and
      shows how in the last few years several huge hardware and content companies
      have been trying very hard (and when you read his examples, you'll see how
      well they succeeded!) in limiting basic rights that we all enjoyed for several
      decades.
      After reading his article, whatever Microsoft is doing to monopolize its
      market looks nothing compares to what the content industry is currently doing.

      If this continues, it appears that Richard Stallman's pesimistic vision of
      2047 (see http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html) will be here
      in 2020, if not earlier...

      Anyway, it looks like I'm not going to buy a DVD player any time soon... This
      whole industry makes me sick. And when I get a decent connection for my home
      computer, I'll install a freenet node (http://freenet.sourceforge.net/),
      hoping it would be just one nail in coffin of the evil schemes described by
      John Gilmore.

      P.S. John Gilmore is one of the founders of Cygnus solutions (now part of
      Redhat) and the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation), and did some other
      important stuff like starting the "alt.*" newsgroups, starting gnu tar,
      and was involved in other gnu programs (uucp, make, gdb, bind, etc.). But
      he also has very unorthodox opinions on politics and especially drug-
      legalization, so take his opinions with a grain of salt :)

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Monday, Mar 5 2001, 10 Adar 5761
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The socks in my drawer are like