RE: [hackers-il] pinging netiquette

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2001
      > Will that be regarded as offensive or suspicious by the targets'
      > sysadmins? Will I get screamed at, blacklisted, banned from the 'net
      > for life? Are there sites that are more likely than the others to
      > tolerate this? I thought of academic institutions and fortresses of
      > liberalism. Any other ideas?

      At Mercury, I'm developing web sites monitoring apps, since those apps
      needed to be tested, I used to monitor a range of sites that I thought would
      never notice the extra load (CNN, yahoo, amazon, etc.)
      Wrong bet.
      An angry letter from someone to managment, caused an order to be sent out:
      "the only sites you can test are mercury's own sites).

      Apparently after yahoo got DOSed, they started checking, and found a
      suspicious number/frequency of pings from our site.

      So, I'd suggest to ask for permissions before pinging, cause you never know
      :-)

      Thanks,
      Chen.