Hack vs. Crack- Common Usage

  • mulix
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2000
      While this subject was listening to its last rites on this list (and
      rigthfully so, since we're all in agreement on what a hacker is and
      isn't), an interesting story came up on /. :

      http://cbc.ca/news/indepth/words/hack.html

      The gist: In english, a "craker" is a hacker.

      Emphasis: I _do not_ think a cracker is a hacker [our sense] , necessariy.
      I think he very well might be, if he's skilled, knowledgable and original.
      However, this list obviously does not want to discuss issues relating to
      computer security, unless their "hack value" is very high. So be it.
      --
      mulix

      linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead