Re: [hackers-il] RE: Another angle: what about precise use of language?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2001
      On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Chen Shapira wrote:

      > But the most interesting humanity in this respect is Literature? Does
      > studying literature teach you about precise use of language? I doubt it. It
      > certainly teaches you something about language, like understanding imprecise
      > and ambigious language, in several ways and justifying your understanding,
      > but I'm not sure if this skill can be mapped into anything more usefull.

      Again, it depends.

      Some authors make precise use of language, and carefully sculpt their
      writings to pack as much meaning as possible in as few words as humanly
      possible. It may be educational to study their techniques. For example -
      Shmuel Yosef Agnon, Ayn Rand.

      Of course, bad teachers can (and do) ruin math, literature and even
      programming.