Re: [hackers-il] More about how people think

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2001
      Well, I remember that joke, probably some time from the early 90's.
      Anyway, I don't consider the original answer as valid, because the
      question did not specifically said he had a rope available. And one cannot
      assume more than what is given.

      Anyway, it is true that in Math there is more than one way to do it(Tm),
      and teachers often are not able to cope with this. Recently, in Analog
      Communications I solved a question in which I had to fine the Fourier
      transform of a trapezoid-like signal, by taking the derivative,
      transforming and then multiplying the result by j*w. What I did not do was
      convert sin(w)/w into sinc(w), which confused the T.A.

      You can find my own solution to the famous Bugs in a Square problem on my
      web-site at the Math-Ventures section. I did not see it anywhere but I
      know at least 4 or 5 other solutions, one of which I also came by myself.
      I read once that solving a problem in three different ways is in a way
      better than solving three problems, each in one way.

      The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
      converting any statement that follows it into a true one.