Re: [hackers-il] Re: Re: Re: Lightning Speed Math Teaching

    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 4, 2001
      On Thu, Jan 04, 2001, Alex Shnitman wrote about "[hackers-il] Re: Re: Re: Lightning Speed Math Teaching":
      > Hi, Nadav!
      >
      > On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:14:28PM +0200, you wrote the following:
      >
      > > As they say, "Ignorance is Bliss"...
      > > [...]
      >
      > OK, so I wake up in the morning and find out that I've been a preacher
      > for ignorance and going back to the dark ages, and also responsible
      > for the killing of 500 million people for good measure. Now that's a
      > good way to start a day. ;-)

      Obviously, I didn't claim that you were pro-ignorance! Not being ignorant
      doesn't have to do only with engineering. There's a lot of knowledge in
      philosophy, psychology, medicine, and even (surprise!) politics. A person
      with a good basic education plus a good understanding in photography
      (to use your example) is not ignorant. It is only a person surrounded by truths
      (about the physical world, medicine, philosophy, and even photography)
      but chooses to ignore them will become ignorant (it's not a coincidence
      that "ignorant" and "ignore" are similar).

      Sorry if it sounded like I claimed you were an "Ignorance is Bliss" supporter.
      I certainly didn't mean to.

      > > If you'd have finished highschool-level math by the 9th grade, then it
      > > doesn't mean you'd learn college-level math in grades 10-12: it means you
      > > could choose whether to continue with college-level math, or stop studying
      > > math altogether, and spend the next 3 years concentration on subjects you
      > > prefer, be they history, philosophy, or Tanach.
      >
      > Now, this actually sounds acceptable.

      Good :) That was my main point - forget all my rants about the lousy
      millennium - sometimes I just get carried away ;)

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Jan 4 2001, 9 Tevet 5761
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I have an open mind - it's just closed
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 18, 2001
        On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 09:52:48AM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:
        > So my question is: do people actually learn precise use of language in
        > humanities?

        Oh, and another possible answer:

        Of *course* people learn precise use of language in the humanities.
        People in the humanities have big dictionaries.

        --
        Gaal Yahas <gaal@...>