Lightning Speed Math Teaching

    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 2, 2001
      IMO, having to study for 12 years in order to learn the basis of
      Mathematics which will enable one to acquire a technical diploma, is very
      unsuitable for the information age.

      I think children of average intelligence can be taught Math much more
      quickly than that. For once, Algebra should be introduced already in
      Elementary School. And I think Geometry should be taught in the first
      place from the basic theorems according to the High School curriculum.

      What ways do you have in mind in order to fasten pre-academic Math
      studies?

      One thing I can think of is privatizing schools. (not to start a flame
      war here). Doing this will create competition between the competing
      schools or school networks, and will raise teacher's salary. Right now,
      the public school system has failed to prove itself in many places, except
      those where the Teachers' salary is extremly high. (e.g: Switzerland)

      The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
      converting any statement that follows it into a true one.
    • Gaal Yahas
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 18, 2001
        On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 09:52:48AM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:
        > So my question is: do people actually learn precise use of language in
        > humanities?

        Oh, and another possible answer:

        Of *course* people learn precise use of language in the humanities.
        People in the humanities have big dictionaries.

        --
        Gaal Yahas <gaal@...>