[tme@21rst-century.com: Re: Packet Loss]

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2000
      I just read the following pearl in the NANOG (North American Network Operator
      Group) mailing list. Just to bring you into the picture, the thread was
      originally a question about how to define "packet loss", and the discussion
      soon turned into a discussion of sending data the "physical" way (sending
      data on tape via a car), and then soon turned into anecdotes about how long
      ago people moved data around. Sound of these people evidentally have been
      involved in the computer scene for over 30 years, so they have some nice
      anecdotes.

      I like the punched-paper-tape anecdote about a string of "1" bits making
      the tape easier to tear (for people who don't know what a punched paper
      tape is, take a look at 'ppt' from Redhat's bsd-games package, for example),
      and the chad reference :) (what this means should be obvious to anyone
      following the Florida recounts).

      I've edited the message slightly for brevity's sake.

      ----- Forwarded message from Marshall Eubanks <tme@...> -----

      Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:20:44 -0500
      From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@...>
      To: Valdis.Kletnieks@..., nanog@...
      Subject: Re: Packet Loss

      Valdis.Kletnieks@... wrote:

      > I still have 21 9-track tapes in my office that I need to do something with,
      > as our last system with 3420-style round tapes is being decomissioned in
      > the next few months.

      Hello;

      Real Men use punched paper tape to store programs and load the boot
      block, after toggling
      its binary location on the system console register :) The Gods Who Walk
      Among Us program in machine
      code by toggling it in at the console.

      (I still have some punched paper tape somewhere. I remember feeling
      impressed when I graduated to
      punched cards. They didn't tend to crack if you had a string of all bits
      set to one.)

      On the other hand, I did tens of thousands of lines of code on IBM
      punched cards and I never
      once recall a bug caused by a chad, hanging or otherwise.

      Regards
      Marshall Eubanks

      Multicast Technologies, Inc.
      10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
      Fairfax, Virginia 22030
      Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
      e-mail : tme@... http://www.on-the-i.com

      ----- End forwarded message -----

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Friday, Dec 15 2000, 19 Kislev 5761
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Life's a bitch, but god forbid the bitch