RE: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000

      > Well, I decided to maintain a list of addresses of people who are
      > interested in daily or even more frequent updates to when the story is
      > updated. E-mail me if you wish to be added.

      I'm interested.
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
        > Any other wild ideas?

        I would get a tool maker.

        Whenever I need CVs to do just something else, and Yet another emacs
        feature, or a small script to do specific tasks, I find myself wishing for
        someone else who would know perl/emacs-lisp better than I do and do it for
        me.
        Same for writing setups and doing builds.
        (where I work they have a special team handling CVS/Build/Setup for
        everyone, its fantastic!)
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
          > Besides, I woild like to have a decent salary, good stock
          > options share
          > and a car.

          I think everyone gets a decent amount of those.
          Ofcourse the more valuable you are the higher the value of "good" and
          "decent" become.
          So those are automatic :-)
        • Gilad Ben-Yossef
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
            Omer Zak wrote:

            > Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:

            To comment on some previous comments regarding "how does one knows
            whether she is a star programer?" then I guess my answer would be:

            If you happen to work for a multinational corporation and you happen to
            drive back to your (company supplied) home in a Southern California
            "gated community" (3 pools, tennis courts, electric gates) by the
            wonderful (Really!) road going between Malibu and Thousand Oaks, and
            while driving the (company supplied) car you happen to hit a car going
            the other way and totally trash your and the other drivers car (but no
            one gets hurt) and the company simply sends you a new car and have their
            lawyers take care of everything for you, without you having to to pay a
            penny, display insurance papers etc. then you must be a star programer :-)

            <sigh> Yes, I was once that good... ;-))

            Now seriously, you seem to describe something very similar to the
            "Surgical Team" that Fred Brooks describes in chapter 3 of the now
            famous "The Mythical Man-Month". Since I can't quote the entire chapter
            I'd advice you to go read the book. It's boring as hell, but still very
            important.

            Besides it (the book) makes a hell of a crushing answer when some dumb
            ass pointy haired manager tries to convince you to take in new team
            members to try and make a late project deliver on time and you go:
            "That will only make the project *MORE* late, not less!" and he goes:
            "Says who?". At this point I simply send them the title and the ISBN of
            the book and a link to it on Amazon.. ;-)

            I always thought the Surgical Team idea is very good except of the
            social implications but never heard of any place this actually got tried
            out in.

            Interestingly, once can think of the Open Source development model
            presented by Linux and ilk as a sort of Surgical Team development:
            The developers write code, someone else tests, yet someone else
            documents (well, maybe... ;-) This in addition to many of the
            "communication and administration" functions becoming unnecessary
            because of the extremely low cost of communication.
            Well, maybe I'm stretching it too far...

            Gilad.

            --
            Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>
            http://benyossef.com :: +972(54)756701
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 11, 2000
              On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Chen Shapira wrote:

              > > Well, I decided to maintain a list of addresses of people who are
              > > interested in daily or even more frequent updates to when the story is
              > > updated. E-mail me if you wish to be added.
              >
              > I'm interested.

              Then subscribe to shlomif-tpdos-subscribe@... and I'll
              send notices there whenever I update it. God bless ezmlm.

              The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
              converting any statement that follows it into a true one.