RE: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 7, 2000
      On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Chen Shapira wrote:

      > > http://techst02.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
      >
      > Nice character introduction! I loved that :-)

      Thanks. But I fear that Word 2000, which I use here converted it into
      somethihg that only IE5 can see. Can anybody verify that he sees the
      HTML using Konquerer?

      In anycase, if somebody has QText or MS-Word 97 can he convert the RTF
      to HTML and send me the converted file. Visual HTML will be better, but
      Logical HTML that Konquerer can see will also be good.

      The prefix "God Said" has the extraordinary logical property of
      converting any statement that follows it into a true one.
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 7, 2000
        On Thu, Dec 07, 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write":
        > Thanks. But I fear that Word 2000, which I use here converted it into
        > somethihg that only IE5 can see. Can anybody verify that he sees the
        > HTML using Konquerer?
        >
        > In anycase, if somebody has QText or MS-Word 97 can he convert the RTF
        > to HTML and send me the converted file. Visual HTML will be better, but
        > Logical HTML that Konquerer can see will also be good.

        Since I suppose the text is not hyperlinked, why don't you convert it to
        Postscript (or PDF, if you want)? All of us have postscript viewers (shame
        on you if you don't ;)), and with a postscript file there's no question
        of Bidi, fonts, or anything like that. I know that for me getting a hardcopy
        in Postscript or PDF makes much more sense than getting Word/RT/Qtext or
        even HTML.

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Dec 7 2000, 10 Kislev 5761
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A bird in the hand is safer than one
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 7, 2000
          > In anycase, if somebody has QText or MS-Word 97 can he
          > convert the RTF
          > to HTML and send me the converted file. Visual HTML will be
          > better, but
          > Logical HTML that Konquerer can see will also be good.

          Major HTML editing is needed. Try this:

          http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

          Besides the broken font tags and others, the hebrew is indeed logical, and
          should be seen on any viewer that supports it (inclusing gnotepad)

          I can also send a hebrew Ascii to ps convertor if anyone is interested.

          Since I still didn't get over how cool this short story is, I'll say it
          again: Its not only great, its addictive. I read the first part few times
          this morning, I can't wait for the rest.

          BTW. Shlomi, would you mind if I try translating it to English?
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 7, 2000
            On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Chen Shapira wrote:

            > > In anycase, if somebody has QText or MS-Word 97 can he
            > > convert the RTF
            > > to HTML and send me the converted file. Visual HTML will be
            > > better, but
            > > Logical HTML that Konquerer can see will also be good.
            >
            > Major HTML editing is needed. Try this:
            >
            > http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

            OK. I'll give it shoot. But I can only use it once in a while, not for
            every version I release.

            > Besides the broken font tags and others, the hebrew is indeed logical, and
            > should be seen on any viewer that supports it (inclusing gnotepad)
            >
            > I can also send a hebrew Ascii to ps convertor if anyone is interested.
            >
            > Since I still didn't get over how cool this short story is, I'll say it
            > again: Its not only great, its addictive. I read the first part few times
            > this morning, I can't wait for the rest.
            >
            > BTW. Shlomi, would you mind if I try translating it to English?

            Be my guest. I already translated my previous story, "The Enemy and How I
            Helped to Fight it" (read it or be flogged by a differential SCSI cable)
            to English, and you can find it on my site in both English and Hebrew
            versions. (Visual Hebrew HTML).

            "The Enemy" is much more insane than this story is going to be, despite
            the fact that this story describe an sequence of insane events.

            I can warn you that I am going to keep writing, as well as fixing, the
            story in Hebrew, so you should stay tuned for changes.

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 7, 2000
              On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:

              > On Thu, Dec 07, 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write":
              > > Thanks. But I fear that Word 2000, which I use here converted it into
              > > somethihg that only IE5 can see. Can anybody verify that he sees the
              > > HTML using Konquerer?
              > >
              > > In anycase, if somebody has QText or MS-Word 97 can he convert the RTF
              > > to HTML and send me the converted file. Visual HTML will be better, but
              > > Logical HTML that Konquerer can see will also be good.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Shlomi Fish
              >
              > Since I suppose the text is not hyperlinked, why don't you convert it to
              > Postscript (or PDF, if you want)? All of us have postscript viewers (shame
              > on you if you don't ;)), and with a postscript file there's no question
              > of Bidi, fonts, or anything like that. I know that for me getting a hardcopy
              > in Postscript or PDF makes much more sense than getting Word/RT/Qtext or
              > even HTML.

              If I were able to define a postscript printer here on my Technion
              workstation it would have been a good solution. Problem is that I'd have
              to do it every time I want to convert the file, because there are many
              workstations in the farm.

              I can do it when I get home, but until then, either you have to wait or do
              it with your Windows' computer.

              Sorry for the inconvenience,

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 7, 2000
                On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote:

                > P.S: I'm probably going to start a mailing-list dedicated to creative
                > writing here on Egroups. It won't be specific to Israel, but nonetheless,
                > it could be of interest to Israelis who like to read or write fiction and
                > non-fiction.

                quite dead and off-topic for the recent time, but I'll try it out before I
                start a new one.

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                  On Thu, Dec 07, 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write":
                  > On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Thu, Dec 07, 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write":
                  > > Since I suppose the text is not hyperlinked, why don't you convert it to
                  > > Postscript (or PDF, if you want)? All of us have postscript viewers (shame
                  > > on you if you don't ;)), and with a postscript file there's no question
                  > > of Bidi, fonts, or anything like that. I know that for me getting a hardcopy
                  > > in Postscript or PDF makes much more sense than getting Word/RT/Qtext or
                  > > even HTML.
                  > >

                  > If I were able to define a postscript printer here on my Technion
                  > workstation it would have been a good solution. Problem is that I'd have
                  > to do it every time I want to convert the file, because there are many
                  > workstations in the farm.

                  Then once again, stupidity wins...
                  Why can't a postscript printer be defined on ALL WORKSTATIONS IN THE FARM (of
                  course, the administrator should do it, not you)? Don't they consider the
                  possibility of postscript output useful enough? Do EE people *never* output
                  *anything* in postscript? Don't you have postscript printers anywhere?

                  I find it very strange...

                  > I can do it when I get home, but until then, either you have to wait or do
                  > it with your Windows' computer.

                  Assuming I have one :)
                  The truth is that I did have Windows NT installed on my computer, but a couple
                  of months ago I had an "installation accident" (I tried to install a Hebrew
                  version of Office, after I had only the English version and it managed to
                  ruin various shared-libraries, or whatever), and now my NT installation is
                  completely useless...

                  But don't worry - I can still read HTML. I just suggested that Postscript
                  is a better format because it is a what-you-see-is-what-everyone-else-will-
                  see-too (WYSIWEWS ?) format.

                  --
                  Nadav Har'El | Friday, Dec 8 2000, 11 Kislev 5761
                  Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I'm a peripheral visionary: I see into
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                    On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:

                    > On Thu, Dec 07, 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write":
                    > > On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > On Thu, Dec 07, 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write":
                    > > > Since I suppose the text is not hyperlinked, why don't you convert it to
                    > > > Postscript (or PDF, if you want)? All of us have postscript viewers (shame
                    > > > on you if you don't ;)), and with a postscript file there's no question
                    > > > of Bidi, fonts, or anything like that. I know that for me getting a hardcopy
                    > > > in Postscript or PDF makes much more sense than getting Word/RT/Qtext or
                    > > > even HTML.
                    > > >

                    > > If I were able to define a postscript printer here on my Technion
                    > > workstation it would have been a good solution. Problem is that I'd have
                    > > to do it every time I want to convert the file, because there are many
                    > > workstations in the farm.
                    >
                    > Then once again, stupidity wins...
                    > Why can't a postscript printer be defined on ALL WORKSTATIONS IN THE FARM (of
                    > course, the administrator should do it, not you)? Don't they consider the
                    > possibility of postscript output useful enough? Do EE people *never* output
                    > *anything* in postscript? Don't you have postscript printers anywhere?

                    Talking with the administrators of the farms is as effective as talking to
                    a deaf person behind his back (no offence, OmerZ). I'll try and render it
                    as postscript before I leave my workstation now. If I can't, then it will
                    have to wait till I get home.

                    As for EEers using Postscript. I think in the Technion, EEers prefer PDF,
                    and we rarely see Postscript around here because the other EEers rarely
                    use UNIX as most of the programs we need on a day to day basis are on
                    Windows. Some heavy digital circuit simulation programs exist for UNIXes
                    only, but most of the other programs are present only on Windows or on
                    Windows too.

                    I have three UNIX accounts: shlomif@{vipe,t2,lion}. The only one which I
                    can run X on is lion and it has a 2.5 MB quota. I can run stuff from vipe
                    through remote X but I'd rather not. And I can't get an account on the CS
                    farms because I'm not taking any CS courses that justify it, and I am not
                    a Computer Engineering student.

                    So, if you are a UNIX-lover above all, then CS is the way to go,
                    Technionically. But I'm not a UNIX-lover above all, so I can cope with the
                    present situation.

                    > I find it very strange...
                    >
                    > > I can do it when I get home, but until then, either you have to wait or do
                    > > it with your Windows' computer.
                    >
                    > Assuming I have one :)
                    > The truth is that I did have Windows NT installed on my computer, but a couple
                    > of months ago I had an "installation accident" (I tried to install a Hebrew
                    > version of Office, after I had only the English version and it managed to
                    > ruin various shared-libraries, or whatever), and now my NT installation is
                    > completely useless...
                    >
                    > But don't worry - I can still read HTML. I just suggested that Postscript
                    > is a better format because it is a what-you-see-is-what-everyone-else-will-
                    > see-too (WYSIWEWS ?) format.

                    I suggest you re-install Windows NT after you copy all the important files
                    to the Linux partition. And next time, uninstall Eng-Office before you
                    install Heb-Office (and pray for the best)

                    Like I said, I will convert it to Postscript at the latest when I get
                    home, but it won'be until next week.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                      Well, I decided to maintain a list of addresses of people who are
                      interested in daily or even more frequent updates to when the story is
                      updated. E-mail me if you wish to be added.

                      For those who missed some of the previous messages - the story in question
                      is "The Pope Died on Sunday" and its URL is:

                      http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/humour/Pope/

                      BTW: There's a more up to date version of the story on the site.

                      BTW 2: Chen, how is the translation going? Would you recommend that I
                      start one of my own too?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                        Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:

                        Suppose you are working for a company, which understands the value of star
                        programmers, and is prepared to hire as many support personnel and buy as
                        much furniture and equipment as needed, so that you the star programmer
                        will be able to work in the most efficient way possible.

                        What would you recommend the company to equip you with?
                        The idea is that it is very difficult to find, hire and retain star
                        programmers, so they will be the bottleneck to the organization's
                        performance. But there are several other intelligent persons, who just
                        cannot excel in programming to to various reasons. But their other skills
                        could help star programmers save their time.

                        Partial list of suggestions:
                        1. Software tester to test for you the brilliant code which you wrote.
                        2. Technical writer to spare you from the pain of documenting your code
                        yourself.
                        3. Big desk.
                        4. Big, flat panel display (or, better, two displays).
                        5. Fast Internet connection.
                        6. Junior programmer who will perform the boring tasks which you specify.
                        7. Information specialist, to search literature and the Internet for any
                        facts that the programmer needs.

                        Any other wild ideas?
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                          On Fri, Dec 08, 2000, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Slightly OT: A story I started to write":
                          > As for EEers using Postscript. I think in the Technion, EEers prefer PDF,
                          > and we rarely see Postscript around here because the other EEers rarely
                          > use UNIX as most of the programs we need on a day to day basis are on
                          > Windows. Some heavy digital circuit simulation programs exist for UNIXes
                          > only, but most of the other programs are present only on Windows or on
                          > Windows too.

                          Of course, PDF is ok too! Both PDF and Postscript are "hardcopy" formats,
                          meaning that they will (or at least, should) look the same anywhere, regardless
                          of whether the user installed fonts, bidi software, equation editors, or
                          whatever, on his or her system.

                          BTW, for your information, (or rather, for your system administrators'
                          information), ghostscript is available on Windows too :) AND, postscript
                          printers (I'm having a real hard time to believe you don't have one of
                          those in EE!) require postscript output from Windows - not PDF... But never
                          mind ;)

                          --
                          Nadav Har'El | Friday, Dec 8 2000, 12 Kislev 5761
                          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |What's the difference between roast beef
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                            On Fri, Dec 08, 2000, Omer Zak wrote about "[hackers-il] The dream retinue for star programmers":
                            > Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:

                            There's a problem in answering your question... If I answer it, it would imply
                            that I consider myself a "star programmer", and doing that is a faux-pas (ein
                            hanachtom meid al isato, you know). So let's start off by saying that I'm
                            answering as a "Nadav" that igored the first line of your posting :)

                            > Partial list of suggestions:
                            > 1. Software tester to test for you the brilliant code which you wrote.
                            > 2. Technical writer to spare you from the pain of documenting your code
                            > yourself.

                            Personally, I would consider either of these a PITA (pain-in-the-a**), because
                            it would mean that I have to explain everything I do to two people, and I
                            would have to strongly rely on two other people (because botching up either
                            the testing or the documentation would make users think that what I did sucks).

                            Yes, I would like for my employer to limit the amount of red-tape (beaurocracy)
                            I'm required to do, but not by having me explain to someone how he should do
                            this red-tape for me.

                            Of course, I'm talking about documentation and testing that occurs during
                            devlopment. Final user-level documentation and QA can be done by special
                            people, for all I care, if the people doing that are capable enough that they
                            can do these things without me having to spend weeks with them explaining
                            them what they should document or test.

                            > 3. Big desk.
                            > 4. Big, flat panel display (or, better, two displays).

                            Yes, a comfortable desk (big enough and in the correct height), shelves,
                            and stuff like that, are extremely important. And so is a big display (I
                            have to admit that I am disappointed by the 17" display my current employer
                            gave me - my previous employer gave me a 21" display).

                            A flat-panel display isn't important, unless the desk is NOT big enough.

                            Two displays is an utter waste, of money and of desk-space, and you shouldn't
                            even consider it, not even if you're working on two different computers (e.g.,
                            Windows and Unix) - you should use a display/keyboard/mouse switch or
                            X-Windows or VNC or something, and manage with one display, one keyboard,
                            and one mouse. I know what I'm talking about - at my previous employer, I
                            had 6 computers (!) by my desk, but only one display :)

                            I would also add a soundcard: it can cost as little as 66 shekels (that's
                            the price of the one I got), and listening to music on the job can be a lot
                            of fun :)

                            > 5. Fast Internet connection.

                            Of course, although probably everyone needs this nowadays, not only "star"
                            programmers.

                            > 6. Junior programmer who will perform the boring tasks which you specify.

                            I can just see the job ad you post for these junior programmers: "come work
                            for us, and you'll do all the boring task that our stuck-up snob
                            star-programmers refuse to do" :)

                            > 7. Information specialist, to search literature and the Internet for any
                            > facts that the programmer needs.

                            This is sometimes called a "librarian"... I don't think you really need one
                            in your company, it's even better if you have access to some big library
                            (e.g., the Technion's) where you can get books you need at a moment's notice.

                            Of course, you should also order any book the programmer requests with no
                            questions asked (and these books should belong to the programmer, not the
                            company [1]).

                            [1] My current employer, and my previous employer, are both stuck with the
                            notion that books you order belong to your employer, and you need to return
                            them if you quit. This makes certain sense, but it also generates many
                            problems (do they really need that "TeXbook" I ordered when I was the only
                            one who used TeX?), and after leaving my previous job book-less I decided
                            that I cannot stand it any more, and I started buying all the books I want
                            with my own money. This is costing me a lot of money, but I consider it
                            worthwhile, and now I have my own copy of many of the books I consider
                            "great". However, I still expect a more generous employer to buy those books
                            for me, to use them to help him and what I do with them after I quit is my
                            own business. Just like I don't return to him the knowledge I gather while
                            working for him, I should be returning the books I've read.

                            > Any other wild ideas?

                            A laptop?
                            A fast internet connection at home and/or a cellular Internet connection for
                            the cellphone?
                            A masseuse? :)

                            --
                            Nadav Har'El | Friday, Dec 8 2000, 12 Kislev 5761
                            Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If God is watching us, the least we can
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                              On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Omer Zak wrote:

                              > Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:
                              >
                              > Suppose you are working for a company, which understands the value of star
                              > programmers, and is prepared to hire as many support personnel and buy as
                              > much furniture and equipment as needed, so that you the star programmer
                              > will be able to work in the most efficient way possible.
                              >
                              > What would you recommend the company to equip you with?
                              > The idea is that it is very difficult to find, hire and retain star
                              > programmers, so they will be the bottleneck to the organization's
                              > performance. But there are several other intelligent persons, who just
                              > cannot excel in programming to to various reasons. But their other skills
                              > could help star programmers save their time.
                              >
                              > Partial list of suggestions:
                              > 1. Software tester to test for you the brilliant code which you wrote.
                              > 2. Technical writer to spare you from the pain of documenting your code
                              > yourself.
                              > 3. Big desk.
                              > 4. Big, flat panel display (or, better, two displays).
                              > 5. Fast Internet connection.
                              > 6. Junior programmer who will perform the boring tasks which you specify.
                              > 7. Information specialist, to search literature and the Internet for any
                              > facts that the programmer needs.
                              >
                              > Any other wild ideas?

                              What I would like is the dream software-development tool. Something that
                              if you declare a new variable it will ask you what you are going to do
                              with it, and detect if you do something else. Something that will enable
                              one to write documentation that corresponds to any line in the code and
                              ask the user what it doesn't understand.

                              Also, something like that that can decipher other people's code, but
                              that's usually impossible. Also, a very smart and intelligent lint. Even
                              tough, I don't usually use lint even for UNIX.

                              P.S: only others can judge whether I am a star programmer or not, (you can
                              find software I wrote on my homepage and I can send you some more), but
                              basically this is something I'd like as a programmer, whether star or not.

                              --- Omer

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                                On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Nadav Har'El wrote:

                                > On Fri, Dec 08, 2000, Omer Zak wrote about "[hackers-il] The dream retinue for star programmers":
                                > > Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:
                                >
                                > There's a problem in answering your question... If I answer it, it would imply
                                > that I consider myself a "star programmer", and doing that is a faux-pas (ein
                                > hanachtom meid al isato, you know). So let's start off by saying that I'm
                                > answering as a "Nadav" that igored the first line of your posting :)

                                Perhaps I started the message way it was started because I do consider
                                myself to be a star programmer. :-)

                                > > Partial list of suggestions:
                                > > 1. Software tester to test for you the brilliant code which you wrote.
                                > > 2. Technical writer to spare you from the pain of documenting your code
                                > > yourself.
                                >
                                > Personally, I would consider either of these a PITA (pain-in-the-a**), because
                                > it would mean that I have to explain everything I do to two people, and I
                                > would have to strongly rely on two other people (because botching up either
                                > the testing or the documentation would make users think that what I did sucks).

                                How about someone who knows to perform code inspections, only can't
                                originally create the masterpiece? He would inspect your code, find and
                                note any problems with it, and also document it. He would also run the
                                code and test it.

                                The drawback is that such people would probably deserve their own star
                                status (i.e. hard to find and worth a lot as well). So continue to think.

                                > I would also add a soundcard: it can cost as little as 66 shekels (that's
                                > the price of the one I got), and listening to music on the job can be a lot
                                > of fun :)

                                According to DeMarco and Lister's "Peopleware", 2nd edition, chapter 12
                                ("Bring back the door"), research made in Cornell University demonstrated
                                that people use the same brain center for listening to music and for
                                creativity (needed to create the really novel solutions to problems).
                                Thus, hearing music on programming job is bad for your creativity.

                                Due to obvious reasons (no offense meant or taken, ShlomiF :-) ) I can't
                                personally vouch for the correctness of the above claim.

                                > > 6. Junior programmer who will perform the boring tasks which you specify.
                                >
                                > I can just see the job ad you post for these junior programmers: "come work
                                > for us, and you'll do all the boring task that our stuck-up snob
                                > star-programmers refuse to do" :)

                                A better way to phrase the same way is "come and work as apprentice to
                                today's brightest programming stars, learn their secrets and ways of
                                thinking, and 7 years from now you will too be a star programmer".

                                > > 7. Information specialist, to search literature and the Internet for any
                                > > facts that the programmer needs.
                                >
                                > This is sometimes called a "librarian"... I don't think you really need one
                                > in your company, it's even better if you have access to some big library
                                > (e.g., the Technion's) where you can get books you need at a moment's notice.

                                This is not the same. Librarians deal mostly with finding, loaning,
                                returning and repairing books. Information specialists gather information
                                from all sources, and know where to find the answer to any question.

                                > > Any other wild ideas?
                                >
                                > A laptop?
                                > A fast internet connection at home and/or a cellular Internet connection for
                                > the cellphone?
                                > A masseuse? :)

                                Continue suggesting more wild ideas.
                                --- Omer
                                WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
                              • mulix
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 8, 2000
                                  On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Omer Zak wrote:

                                  > Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:

                                  If i were a star programmer, i wouldn't be reading my mail on friday
                                  night, i'd be coding the next linux, from scratch, and be done debugging
                                  it by the time the takeout arrives.

                                  > What would you recommend the company to equip you with?

                                  here's my wish list:

                                  flexible working hours. i work when i want to.

                                  flexible working location. onsite or offsite, at my discretion. have
                                  laptop and internet connection, will travel.

                                  flexible projects and choice of technology. c++, c, java, perl, commodore
                                  asm if that's what i want to do the prohject in (and i can give sufficient
                                  technical arguments to support my whim)

                                  > Partial list of suggestions:
                                  > 1. Software tester to test for you the brilliant code which you wrote.
                                  > 2. Technical writer to spare you from the pain of documenting your code
                                  > yourself.

                                  i would like to have ultimate control over my staff memebrs. to be able to
                                  decide who to work with and who not to.

                                  > 4. Big, flat panel display (or, better, two displays).

                                  in general, a computer which makes my task, programming, as easy as
                                  possible. and i decide what defines such a computer, naturally.

                                  > 5. Fast Internet connection.

                                  wholeheartedly agree.

                                  > 7. Information specialist, to search literature and the Internet for any
                                  > facts that the programmer needs.

                                  access to any knowledge source i need, be it in electronic form or
                                  dead-tree form. no questions asked as to why i need it or how much it
                                  costs.

                                  > --- Omer
                                  > WARNING TO SPAMMERS:at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html
                                  --
                                  mulix

                                  linux/reboot.h: #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1 0xfee1dead
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000

                                    > Well, I decided to maintain a list of addresses of people who are
                                    > interested in daily or even more frequent updates to when the story is
                                    > updated. E-mail me if you wish to be added.

                                    I'm interested.
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
                                      > Any other wild ideas?

                                      I would get a tool maker.

                                      Whenever I need CVs to do just something else, and Yet another emacs
                                      feature, or a small script to do specific tasks, I find myself wishing for
                                      someone else who would know perl/emacs-lisp better than I do and do it for
                                      me.
                                      Same for writing setups and doing builds.
                                      (where I work they have a special team handling CVS/Build/Setup for
                                      everyone, its fantastic!)
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
                                        > Besides, I woild like to have a decent salary, good stock
                                        > options share
                                        > and a car.

                                        I think everyone gets a decent amount of those.
                                        Ofcourse the more valuable you are the higher the value of "good" and
                                        "decent" become.
                                        So those are automatic :-)
                                      • Omer Musaev
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
                                          mulix wrote:

                                          > On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Omer Zak wrote:
                                          >

                                          >> Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:
                                          >
                                          > If i were a star programmer, i wouldn't be reading my mail on friday
                                          > night, i'd be coding the next linux, from scratch, and be done debugging
                                          > it by the time the takeout arrives.
                                          >

                                          >> What would you recommend the company to equip you with?

                                          <snip>

                                          >> 4. Big, flat panel display (or, better, two displays).
                                          >
                                          > in general, a computer which makes my task, programming, as easy as
                                          > possible. and i decide what defines such a computer, naturally.

                                          Contrary to Nadav's experience, I find 3 monitors on a desk a good
                                          thing:) Hovewer, as mulix stated,
                                          a perfect computer is a question of personal decision.

                                          >> 5. Fast Internet connection.
                                          >
                                          > wholeheartedly agree.
                                          >

                                          >> 7. Information specialist, to search literature and the Internet for any
                                          >> facts that the programmer needs.
                                          >
                                          > access to any knowledge source i need, be it in electronic form or
                                          > dead-tree form. no questions asked as to why i need it or how much it
                                          > costs.

                                          While I am not considering myself a star programmer, I think that LOTS
                                          of disk space on netapp
                                          and personal budget, i.e. readiness of employer to purchase whatever I
                                          think could help me is
                                          a good thing TM.

                                          Besides, I woild like to have a decent salary, good stock options share
                                          and a car.

                                          omerm
                                        • Gilad Ben-Yossef
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
                                            Omer Zak wrote:

                                            > Here is a question to the real star programmers among us:

                                            To comment on some previous comments regarding "how does one knows
                                            whether she is a star programer?" then I guess my answer would be:

                                            If you happen to work for a multinational corporation and you happen to
                                            drive back to your (company supplied) home in a Southern California
                                            "gated community" (3 pools, tennis courts, electric gates) by the
                                            wonderful (Really!) road going between Malibu and Thousand Oaks, and
                                            while driving the (company supplied) car you happen to hit a car going
                                            the other way and totally trash your and the other drivers car (but no
                                            one gets hurt) and the company simply sends you a new car and have their
                                            lawyers take care of everything for you, without you having to to pay a
                                            penny, display insurance papers etc. then you must be a star programer :-)

                                            <sigh> Yes, I was once that good... ;-))

                                            Now seriously, you seem to describe something very similar to the
                                            "Surgical Team" that Fred Brooks describes in chapter 3 of the now
                                            famous "The Mythical Man-Month". Since I can't quote the entire chapter
                                            I'd advice you to go read the book. It's boring as hell, but still very
                                            important.

                                            Besides it (the book) makes a hell of a crushing answer when some dumb
                                            ass pointy haired manager tries to convince you to take in new team
                                            members to try and make a late project deliver on time and you go:
                                            "That will only make the project *MORE* late, not less!" and he goes:
                                            "Says who?". At this point I simply send them the title and the ISBN of
                                            the book and a link to it on Amazon.. ;-)

                                            I always thought the Surgical Team idea is very good except of the
                                            social implications but never heard of any place this actually got tried
                                            out in.

                                            Interestingly, once can think of the Open Source development model
                                            presented by Linux and ilk as a sort of Surgical Team development:
                                            The developers write code, someone else tests, yet someone else
                                            documents (well, maybe... ;-) This in addition to many of the
                                            "communication and administration" functions becoming unnecessary
                                            because of the extremely low cost of communication.
                                            Well, maybe I'm stretching it too far...

                                            Gilad.

                                            --
                                            Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>
                                            http://benyossef.com :: +972(54)756701
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 11, 2000
                                              On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Chen Shapira wrote:

                                              > > Well, I decided to maintain a list of addresses of people who are
                                              > > interested in daily or even more frequent updates to when the story is
                                              > > updated. E-mail me if you wish to be added.
                                              >
                                              > I'm interested.

                                              Then subscribe to shlomif-tpdos-subscribe@... and I'll
                                              send notices there whenever I update it. God bless ezmlm.