Heterogenous database usage, anyone?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2011
      Is there anyone with experience with using an heterogenous database
      setup?
      There is some data, which is natural for RDBMS storage.
      There is data which needs to be ACID-compliant (such as accounting
      information).
      There is data which does not benefit from the rigid structure of RDBMS
      (such as documents and images).

      Different kinds of data also differ in their
      storage/retrieval/availability/searchability needs.

      So it is reasonable to use a different DBMS technology to store each
      kind of table.

      However, sometimes it is needed to link together those different
      technologies. For example, if one wants to run a query on a multi-table
      join where the tables (or their equivalents in technologies which have
      no concept of a table) reside in different DBMS.

      So heterogenous databases are not only multi-database installations.
      They need to somehow cooperate with each other.

      PHP - the language of the Vogons.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2011
        Hi Omer,

        On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:05:00 +0300
        Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:

        > Is there anyone with experience with using an heterogenous database
        > setup?
        > There is some data, which is natural for RDBMS storage.
        > There is data which needs to be ACID-compliant (such as accounting
        > information).
        > There is data which does not benefit from the rigid structure of RDBMS
        > (such as documents and images).
        >
        > Different kinds of data also differ in their
        > storage/retrieval/availability/searchability needs.
        >
        > So it is reasonable to use a different DBMS technology to store each
        > kind of table.
        >
        > However, sometimes it is needed to link together those different
        > technologies. For example, if one wants to run a query on a multi-table
        > join where the tables (or their equivalents in technologies which have
        > no concept of a table) reside in different DBMS.

        During my first year at the Technion (1997ish), I briefly worked for a company
        called ISG (= “International Software Group” IIRC) that developed a product
        called “ISG Navigator”. It may have been discontinued because the best I could
        find about it on Google is:

        http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10562_na/10562_na.HTML

        which is from 2001 and mentions a lot of out-of-date technologies (and does not
        mention many more recently popular ones).

        In any case, what this ISG Navigator did was allow one to access data
        (CRUD/etc.) from multiple different databases of different SQL and non-SQL
        database servers, using the same unified interface, including crossing data
        from multiple different sources. Some Perl mongers I talked with about that,
        said that they'd rather not use something like that, because there would be a
        problem of maintaining data consistency and integrity across different servers.
        Maybe ISG Navigator had a way to overcome this.

        Since then I have not really thought about this problem, and it's possible
        there was too little demand for something like ISG Navigator to provide for
        continued research into this issue.