Two things are certain in life and one of them requires Internet presence to be dealt with

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2011
      Payment of taxes does not require special preparations as far as one's
      Internet presence (domains, Websites, blogs, membership in social
      networks, etc.) is concerned.

      However, when one dies, one's Internet presence needs to be dealt with
      some way or other. This includes either account deletion or surrender
      of passwords to other people.

      How did people prepare their Internet presences for their deaths?
      Are there cases, in which people set up funds to pay for continued
      registration of their domains and hosting their Websites after their
      death?

      Feedback from one of the visitors to my
      http://www.zak.co.il/deaf-info/old/ Web site:
      "I found nothing helpful at this site so go to hell. Fuckers"

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2011
        On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:
        However, when one dies, one's Internet presence needs to be dealt with
        some way or other.  This includes either account deletion or surrender
        of passwords to other people.

        Personally, being an Atheist and currently having no family of my own - I do not worry myself with what would happen after my death. I certainly wouldn't care anymore and my parents probably wouldn't care if my facebook isn't updated. Everything I have will probably expire after a fashion, some stuff is on auto-payment and would expire when my relatives get a hold of my assets and stop it.

        I have one family domain, which is hosted on godaddy and my family use for email. I guess they'll have to hash it out with godaddy or the domain provider I would move it to after it expires (I did godaddy when they were still considered good and registered for 10 years in advance...) but it would be their problem and I'm pretty sure they will be someone technical enough to fax them my death certificate and get a hold of the account. All that considering they are still alive and caring. One of my brothers perhaps.

        How did people prepare their Internet presences for their deaths?
        Are there cases, in which people set up funds to pay for continued
        registration of their domains and hosting their Websites after their
        death?

        I definitely don't care enough about my on-line presence when I die. Do you? If someone else does, it's up to them to back it up and maintain it. Not my problem any more :)