Re: [hackers-il] The 4-line limit to E-mail Signature Blocks and Accessibility

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hi Omer,

      On Saturday 05 Mar 2011 04:40:30 Omer Zak wrote:
      > On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 14:48 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > > I've been thinking that maybe such two-column and ASCII-art-bases
      > > signature is not very accessible to people using screen-readers and/or
      > > Braille-devices (e.g: people who are blind or otherwise sight-disabled.)
      >
      > [... snipped ...]
      >
      > > Omer (Zak), as our resident accessibility expert, what are your views on
      > > this?
      >
      > On the face of it, your suggestion makes sense. The drawback is that it
      > somewhat limits people's ability to express themselves artistically
      > (this is one of the excuses used by movie makers to avoid putting
      > captions in their movies - "visual clutter").

      Ah. :-(.

      > I think that people who read Braille can deal with .sigs (except for the
      > ASCII art part, which needs more "global view").
      >
      > I suggest that you ask people with visual impairment for their
      > experiences with .sigs, and if they don't already have workarounds for
      > grokking .sigs.

      OK, I'll see if I can do that. Ori told me there's a mailing list for blind
      (or otherwise visually disabled) Linux users (over at RedHat IIRC), but had a
      problem that they are asking many questions there that are mundane technical
      problems they run into with Linux. I'll see what I can do, though.