DSP for hobbyists recommendation?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2011
      I want to develop a system, using an Arduino controller board.
      However, I need the controller to respond also to the FFT of ambient
      sounds.

      So the system will have to include also a microphone and a DSP.

      My requirements and budget are hobbyist level, so what is the
      recommendation for a DSP or FFT processor which meets as many as
      feasible of the following requirements:
      1. Low unit price
      2. Availability of a cheap development board
      3. Availability of Free (or at least zero cost) development toolchain
      4. Can be purchased off the shelf in a shop in Har Zion St., Tel Aviv.

      Thanks,

      Delay is the deadliest form of denial. C. Northcote Parkinson