Re: [hackers-il] "COBOL - the New Age Programming Language"

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
      On Sunday 01 August 2010 11:45:26 Arik Baratz wrote:
      > On 1 August 2010 05:18, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I've finished setting up a new page in my site:
      > >

      > > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/COBOL-the-New-Age-Programming-Langu
      > > age/
      >
      > Hi Shlomi
      >
      > There's a 4th gen language called CSP that used COBOL as its back end
      > (you'd generate COBOL from CSP and then compile). Where I worked they
      > wrote in PL/1 when they needed low level access, not actual COBOL.

      I see.

      > I don't really understand the point of the page, it's not like you'd find
      > people disagreeing with you or people you need to convince. The call to
      > action at the end of the page is really redundant if all you want to do is
      > make a look-at-how-stupid-people-used-to-be page, which for the most part
      > it is.

      Well, it's just a parody page (notice the URL and the breadcrumbs trail, etc.)
      and in part I also wanted to parody the hypey pages of modern programming
      languages. For example, http://www.python.org/ had a photo of a NASA Astronaut
      saying "NASA uses Python", so I parodied it as "NASA uses COBOL" (which is
      true).

      > My opinion is that the fact that many people used it gives it some merit.
      > Perhaps it was the best they had or perhaps aliens in a parallel dimension
      > used their brain rays to make everyone think that COBOL is a great idea
      > (and the aliens switched to C++ after). But considering today's
      > alternatives, if you haven't figured out that COBOL is not the right
      > language for your new project, no amount of words is going to convince you
      > otherwise.

      I did not try to convince people to ditch COBOL, just to have some fun at its
      expense.