Re: [hackers-il] "COBOL - the New Age Programming Language"

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
      On 1 August 2010 05:18, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      I've finished setting up a new page in my site:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/COBOL-the-New-Age-Programming-Language/

      Hi Shlomi

      There's a 4th gen language called CSP that used COBOL as its back end (you'd generate COBOL from CSP and then compile). Where I worked they wrote in PL/1 when they needed low level access, not actual COBOL.

      I don't really understand the point of the page, it's not like you'd find people disagreeing with you or people you need to convince. The call to action at the end of the page is really redundant if all you want to do is make a look-at-how-stupid-people-used-to-be page, which for the most part it is.

      My opinion is that the fact that many people used it gives it some merit. Perhaps it was the best they had or perhaps aliens in a parallel dimension used their brain rays to make everyone think that COBOL is a great idea (and the aliens switched to C++ after). But considering today's alternatives, if you haven't figured out that COBOL is not the right language for your new project, no amount of words is going to convince you otherwise.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
        On Sunday 01 August 2010 11:45:26 Arik Baratz wrote:
        > On 1 August 2010 05:18, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I've finished setting up a new page in my site:
        > >

        > > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/COBOL-the-New-Age-Programming-Langu
        > > age/
        >
        > Hi Shlomi
        >
        > There's a 4th gen language called CSP that used COBOL as its back end
        > (you'd generate COBOL from CSP and then compile). Where I worked they
        > wrote in PL/1 when they needed low level access, not actual COBOL.

        I see.

        > I don't really understand the point of the page, it's not like you'd find
        > people disagreeing with you or people you need to convince. The call to
        > action at the end of the page is really redundant if all you want to do is
        > make a look-at-how-stupid-people-used-to-be page, which for the most part
        > it is.

        Well, it's just a parody page (notice the URL and the breadcrumbs trail, etc.)
        and in part I also wanted to parody the hypey pages of modern programming
        languages. For example, http://www.python.org/ had a photo of a NASA Astronaut
        saying "NASA uses Python", so I parodied it as "NASA uses COBOL" (which is
        true).

        > My opinion is that the fact that many people used it gives it some merit.
        > Perhaps it was the best they had or perhaps aliens in a parallel dimension
        > used their brain rays to make everyone think that COBOL is a great idea
        > (and the aliens switched to C++ after). But considering today's
        > alternatives, if you haven't figured out that COBOL is not the right
        > language for your new project, no amount of words is going to convince you
        > otherwise.

        I did not try to convince people to ditch COBOL, just to have some fun at its
        expense.