Re: [hackers-il] E-voting in Israel: Does anyone know about this?

  • Evgeny Budilovsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18 11:51 PM
      Hi,
      Last year there was some great lecture in Tel-Aviv university about the subject of e-voting in Israel and some cool relay attack was introduced. The attack exploits the RFID weaknesses to damage the election process.

      Below the link to the paper which explains the attack and what could possibly get wrong with e-voting
      http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~yash/evoting-relay-rfid2010.pdf

      Personally I think this issue should be treated in very serious way and we should create similar boom to the biometric database issue.

      Regards,
      Evgeny

      On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:

      The important point in the following is that it seems that our
      government is introducing E-voting into Israel and I saw no public
      debate about the subject.
      In the last municipal elections, a trial was made - and its results
      haven't been made public as far as I know.

      ===>
      Snippets from the following issue:
      RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Sunday 18 April 2010 Volume 26 : Issue
      02
      [... snipped ...]
      Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:04:21 PDT
      From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann@...>
      Subject: RFID zapper made from a disposable camera! (Eurekalert)

      [Thanks to Ken Nitz. PGN]

      Safer swiping while voting and globetrotting: Tel Aviv University
      security
      expert finds security holes in America's passports and 'smart cards'
      http://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/21697.php?from=158414
      [... snipped ...]
      Prof. Wool's most recent research centers on the new "e-voting"
      technology
      being implemented in Israel. "We show how the Israeli government's new
      system based on the RFID chip is a very risky approach for security
      reasons.
      ===>

      By running MS-Windows XP on your PC, you are probably a multi-zombie.

    • Dotan Cohen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19 11:59 AM
        > The important point in the following is that it seems that our
        > government is introducing E-voting into Israel and I saw no public
        > debate about the subject.
        > In the last municipal elections, a trial was made - and its results
        > haven't been made public as far as I know.

        It is important, but who cares? The average Israeli is too naive or
        dumb to know or care anymore. Sorry.

        (note: I do care)

        --
        Dotan Cohen

        http://bido.com
        http://what-is-what.com

        Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
        read all list mail.