Interesting Project: "Sappeur Compiler"

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2010
      Spotted on Freshmeat.net:

      http://freshmeat.net/projects/sappeur-compiler

      Reading from it:

      <<<
      Sappeur is a safe and efficient programming language. The memory safety of
      Sappeur programs is equivalent to Java or .NET without having the performance
      penalties of those languages. This is implemented with smart pointers and
      stack allocation of objects and arrays. Also, arrays of objects and
      synchronous destructors are possible. Sappeur executables are native code and
      do not use a garbage collector. The safety properties of Sappeur are assured
      by a proper type system (which forbids weird pointer casts for example) and
      runtime checks. This is true for both single- and multithreaded programs. The
      Sappeur compiler translates programs into safe C++ programs, which makes
      integration with existing C++ code simple. Finally, Sappeur technology could
      be used to safely and efficiently execute untrusted code, like Java applets
      promised to do. This would be achieved by a safe runtime library and trusted
      compilation providers.

      Very interesting.

      I wonder how it prevents random access to arrays from causing a segfault. Do
      they do run-time checks for each access or do they have something like
      Eiffel's design-by-contract programming which makes sure wrong values from
      appearing in the first place.

      I'd like to experiment with it a little in my spare time.