Report on the Book "Programming Pearls" (2nd Edition)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2010
      I recently finished reading the second edition of the book Programming Pearls:

      http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Pearls-2nd-Jon-Bentley/dp/0201657880

      The author updated and modernised the previous edition.

      This book covers several programming and algorithmic challenges and implements
      solutions to them. There's a strong focus on optimisation which I appreciated.
      One major thing I got from the book was the analysis and verification of
      algorithms using pre/post and invariants.

      I should note that I haven't done the exercises in the book (at least not
      yet), which may have resulted in a lesser understanding of what Bentley tried
      to convey.

      Still I can wholeheartedly recommend the book. It's engaging, interesting, and
      not too long.

      I should also note that two days ago, I spent some time reading the traits
      paper:

      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki$?TraitsPaper

      It was interesting, but I didn't invest enough time in digesting it and fully
      understanding. It's not too long, so I can recommend reading it.