Re: [hackers-il] Recommendation: "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic"

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
      On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      > On Friday 05 Feb 2010 23:51:59 Chen Shapira wrote:
      >> The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear
      >> regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example
      >> will not give you an error.
      >>

      > What are you talking about?

      I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:

      Regardless of the context - if you enjoyed "What Every Computer
      Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic", you will
      probably enjoy the study of numeric analysis. The field of study
      discusses problems of approximation and containment of errors.

      Chen,
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
        > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
        > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113

        I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
        Sorry for mis-paste.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
          On Saturday 06 Feb 2010 14:44:56 Chen Shapira wrote:
          > > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
          > > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113
          >
          > I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
          > Sorry for mis-paste.

          No, I was not talking about it in the context of this bug specifically. I got
          many reports about it.