Re: [hackers-il] Recommendation: "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic"

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
      On Friday 05 Feb 2010 23:51:59 Chen Shapira wrote:
      > The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear
      > regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example
      > will not give you an error.

      What are you talking about?

      > Did you study Numerical Methods? There are many techniques for improving
      > accuracy during calculations that involve floating point numbers.

      I did not study numerical methods.

      And please don't top-post.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
        On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
        > On Friday 05 Feb 2010 23:51:59 Chen Shapira wrote:
        >> The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear
        >> regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example
        >> will not give you an error.
        >>

        > What are you talking about?

        I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:

        Regardless of the context - if you enjoyed "What Every Computer
        Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic", you will
        probably enjoy the study of numeric analysis. The field of study
        discusses problems of approximation and containment of errors.

        Chen,
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
          > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
          > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113

          I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
          Sorry for mis-paste.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
            On Saturday 06 Feb 2010 14:44:56 Chen Shapira wrote:
            > > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
            > > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113
            >
            > I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
            > Sorry for mis-paste.

            No, I was not talking about it in the context of this bug specifically. I got
            many reports about it.