Re: [hackers-il] Recommendation: "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic"

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
      The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example will not give you an error.

      Did you study Numerical Methods? There are many techniques for improving accuracy during calculations that involve floating point numbers.

      Chen

      On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

      Hi all!

      I've read the following paper and can recommend it:

      "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic"

      It's a bit long, but not too long, and it's also enlightening. I've been
      getting quite a lot of requests for help and bug reports about problems
      induced by floating point issues while maintaining the following CPAN module:

      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Statistics-Descriptive/

      This article explains why people should not expect the impossible out of code
      like that.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
        On Friday 05 Feb 2010 23:51:59 Chen Shapira wrote:
        > The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear
        > regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example
        > will not give you an error.

        What are you talking about?

        > Did you study Numerical Methods? There are many techniques for improving
        > accuracy during calculations that involve floating point numbers.

        I did not study numerical methods.

        And please don't top-post.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
          On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
          > On Friday 05 Feb 2010 23:51:59 Chen Shapira wrote:
          >> The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear
          >> regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example
          >> will not give you an error.
          >>

          > What are you talking about?

          I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:

          Regardless of the context - if you enjoyed "What Every Computer
          Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic", you will
          probably enjoy the study of numeric analysis. The field of study
          discusses problems of approximation and containment of errors.

          Chen,
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
            > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
            > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113

            I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
            Sorry for mis-paste.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
              On Saturday 06 Feb 2010 14:44:56 Chen Shapira wrote:
              > > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
              > > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113
              >
              > I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
              > Sorry for mis-paste.

              No, I was not talking about it in the context of this bug specifically. I got
              many reports about it.