Recommendation: "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic"

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
      Hi all!

      I've read the following paper and can recommend it:

      "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic"

      It's a bit long, but not too long, and it's also enlightening. I've been
      getting quite a lot of requests for help and bug reports about problems
      induced by floating point issues while maintaining the following CPAN module:

      http://search.cpan.org/dist/Statistics-Descriptive/

      This article explains why people should not expect the impossible out of code
      like that.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
          On Friday 05 Feb 2010 23:51:59 Chen Shapira wrote:
          > The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear
          > regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example
          > will not give you an error.

          What are you talking about?

          > Did you study Numerical Methods? There are many techniques for improving
          > accuracy during calculations that involve floating point numbers.

          I did not study numerical methods.

          And please don't top-post.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
            On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
            > On Friday 05 Feb 2010 23:51:59 Chen Shapira wrote:
            >> The specific bug you refer to (error when attempting to calculate linear
            >> regression slope where y=0.74) is not impossible to solve - R for example
            >> will not give you an error.
            >>

            > What are you talking about?

            I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:

            Regardless of the context - if you enjoyed "What Every Computer
            Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic", you will
            probably enjoy the study of numeric analysis. The field of study
            discusses problems of approximation and containment of errors.

            Chen,
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
              > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
              > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113

              I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
              Sorry for mis-paste.
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
                On Saturday 06 Feb 2010 14:44:56 Chen Shapira wrote:
                > > I assumed you were talking in the context of this bug:
                > > https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=113
                >
                > I meant: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=11308
                > Sorry for mis-paste.

                No, I was not talking about it in the context of this bug specifically. I got
                many reports about it.