Re: [hackers-il] DRY vs. KISS

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
      On Thursday 12 Nov 2009 20:41:09 Omer Zak wrote:
      > On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 19:24 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > [... an example was snipped ...]
      >
      > > So the question to you is: do you think DRY and KISS can sometimes
      > > contradict one another? If so, which one is more important, or that you
      > > should just use your reason. I should also note that I've been feeling
      > > that less expressive languages sometimes result in being unable to avoid
      > > duplicate code or undesirable "patterns" in the code (in accordance to
      > > DRY). Possibly the only family of languages that completely avoids
      > > duplicate code is Lisp.
      >
      > I think that more important than DRY, KISS or whatever is the principle
      > of not overloading the memory of whomever is going to read the software.
      >
      > You overload his memory if he has to look up elsewhere for definitions
      > of variables, functions, closures or whatever constructs you are using.
      > According to this criteria, LISP can be very bad.

      Now that I think of it, it's possible that not overloading memory is one
      aspect of KISS ("Keep is Simple and Stupid"). But I'm not sure of that.

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      What does "Zionism" mean? - http://shlom.in/def-zionism

      Bzr is slower than Subversion in combination with Sourceforge.
      ( By: http://dazjorz.com/ )