Fwd: [Telux] Next Meeting: "CMake" on 25-October-2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2009
      ---------- Forwarded Message ----------

      Subject: [Telux] Next Meeting: "CMake" on 25-October-2009
      Date: Saturday 10 Oct 2009
      From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...>
      To: Telux <telux@...>

      Hi all!

      The Tel Aviv Open Source Club will host a talk by Constantine Shulyupin (
      http://www.linuxdriver.co.il/ ) about "CMake - the Nifty Build and
      Configuration System" - on 25-October-2009.

      The meeting will take place at Tel Aviv University, at the Schreiber Maths&CS
      building, room 008 on 18:30. So mark your calendars. For more information can
      be found at:

      * http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/telux/

      * http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Tel_Aviv_Meeting_on_25_October_2009

      With any other problems, feel free to contact me:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/me/contact-me/

      Hopefully Constantine will be able to give a re-run of this presentation on
      Haifux and other possible venues.

      Abstract:
      ---------

      You can see what we have so far here:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/CMake/

      We are also planning to re-use some CMake presentations and material that we
      found online. In any case, here's an abstract:

      {{{{{{{{{{{
      CMake - cross platform make.
      - configure the software build process and generate makefiles (or IDE
      project files) automatically on many systems.
      - Advantages over GNU Autotools.
      - Smaller archive files and downloads (no huge "configure",
      "configure.in"/"configure.ac", Makefile.am, Makefile.in, etc.)
      - Faster configurations (using the CMake command).
      - no excessive forking and running processes in CMake.
      - make/build runs faster (due to no "libtool" commands).
      - much easier to maintain and tends to break less than Autoconf's
      m4 macros generating /bin/sh code, with many other tools in between.
      Show:
      - http://www.seul.org/docs/autotut/figure1.png
      - Better Microsoft Windows support:
      - can prepare Windows NSIS packages out-of-the-box.
      - Its licence is mod-BSDL instead of Autotools' GPL.
      }}}}}}}}}}

      CMake may still have some disadvantages over GNU Autotools (a.k.a: GNU
      Autohell), but we like it.

      ----------

      Next on our agenda is starting the "Welcome-to-FOSS" series:

      http://welcome.foss.org.il/2009/

      We're looking for volunteer presenters and backup presenters. Currently our
      agenda is here:

      http://wiki.osdc.org.il/index.php/Welcome_to_FOSS_-_2009

      We are always looking for presentations on interesting topics. If you have an
      interesting idea for a talk, feel free to contact us and we'll co-ordinate a
      date.

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      "Star Trek: We, the Living Dead" - http://shlom.in/st-wtld

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/