Re: [hackers-il] Digital Whisper issue #1

  • Dotan Cohen
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9 6:11 AM
      >> I actually think that PDF is great. It is freely available, preserves
      >> formatting across OS / applications, and is contained in a single file
      >> ([X]HTML is not).
      >
      > The latter can be solved using solutions such as .zip or tar.gz or a CHM :
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help
      >
      > Also, you can always put the HTML you want under a certain path on the server
      > and use mirroring tools. So it's a solved problem.

      CHM is far from being a universally-available solution. No ebook
      reader can read it, and the choices for reading CHM files under Linux
      are slim. Furthermore, being HTML-based, there is no reference
      implementation for formatting, so it will look different on every
      device.

      >> Is is searchable and the text is extractable.
      >
      > It is not as searchable as HTML or XML is, and the text is not easily
      > extractable if there is fancy formatting or layout. And not all FOSS PDF
      > viewers have adequate mechanisms for it.

      So fix your FOSS software. This would need to be done anyway for CHM,
      read the previous comment.

      >> Is is
      >> also accessible to the disabled, though Linux support for that feature
      >> may be missing (a problem with Linux applications, not with PDF
      >> itself).
      >
      > It's much less accessible to the disabled than XHTML is.

      Please explain. PDF has disability features built into the document.
      You might also want to read up on reflowing PDF documetns for
      small-screen devices and screen readers.

      >> There are RTL issues with PDF though.
      >>

      > Big RTL issues.

      I take that back. There are RTL isues with FOSS PDF readers. Acrobat
      on Vista seems to have all the RTL issues taken care of.

      > Nevertheless, by using DocBook/XML and other tools one can easily generate
      > both XHTML and PDF output. And you can convert XHTML to PDF too using the
      > print-to-file function of the browsers.

      This is a good point. Does the author want to give multiple options?

      --
      Dotan Cohen

      http://what-is-what.com
      http://gibberish.co.il