Re: [hackers-il] Digital Whisper issue #1

  • Moshe Ben Abu
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
      Thanks for the feedback, I've sent it to the authors.

      What kind of format you suggest the magazine should be..?

      On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      Hi Moshe!

      Thanks for the initiative and your effort, and good luck.

      On Saturday 03 Oct 2009 17:07:22 Moshe Ben Abu wrote:
      > Hello there,
      >
      > Digital Whisper is a new Israeli security\hacking\programming web magazine
      > founded by Afik Castiel and Nir Adar, written in Hebrew.
      >
      > Their first issue is out, you can grab a copy here:
      > http://www.digitalwhisper.co.il/issue1<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url
      > =http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edigitalwhisper%2Eco%2Eil%2Fissue1&urlhash=QUvK&_t=disc_
      > detail_link>

      For some reason this URL passed through linkedin and yielded a 404. I used
      this URL, which I had to copy-and-paste manually:
      A few notes:

      1. Why are the articles in PDF format? PDF suffers from poor accessibility,
      inconvenience, low ability to be hacked and re-used, and other problems.
      I don't have a PDF viewer configured in my browser, and when clicking on the
      link, one of them was downloaded to my hard-disk, and I am too inconvenienced
      to open it using a PDF viewer.

      2. "Privilege Excalation" should be "Privilege Escalation".

      3. It seems that with large enough fonts, the username and password fields
      overflow the left side-bar.

      4. The comments should have self-links for anchors (e.g:
      http://www.digitalwhisper.co.il/issue1#comment5 )

      > If anyone is willing to contribute, submit an article or give a feedback,
      > contact Digital Whisper crew here - editor@...

      I'll consider it, thanks.

      Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:hackers-il-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:hackers-il-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Trancer
      Recognize-Security
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2009
        On Saturday 03 Oct 2009 18:09:30 Moshe Ben Abu wrote:
        > Thanks for the feedback, I've sent it to the authors.
        > What kind of format you suggest the magazine should be..?

        HTML or XHTML preferably. Possibly with some help from CSS, MathML, SVG, PNG,
        etc.

        Note that you can create the magazine in various formats (including XHTML ,
        PDF and even MS Word) using such technologies as:

        http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/web/choice-of-docs-formats/

        Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
        Understand what Open Source is - http://shlom.in/oss-fs

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
          In my opinion, PDF format is a fine choice, and I'd advise it to be
          first choice for fully sighted people.
          For people with special needs, do provide also a HTML/XHTML version, as
          suggested by Shlomi.

          --- Omer

          On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 20:02 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
          > On Saturday 03 Oct 2009 18:09:30 Moshe Ben Abu wrote:
          > > Thanks for the feedback, I've sent it to the authors.
          > > What kind of format you suggest the magazine should be..?
          > >

          > HTML or XHTML preferably. Possibly with some help from CSS, MathML, SVG, PNG,
          > etc.
          >
          > Note that you can create the magazine in various formats (including XHTML ,
          > PDF and even MS Word) using such technologies as:
          >
          > http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/web/choice-of-docs-formats/

          "Kosher" Cellphones (cellphones with blocked SMS, video and Internet)
          are menace to the deaf. They must be outlawed!
          (See also: http://www.zak.co.il/tddpirate/2006/04/21/the-grave-danger-to-the-deaf-from-kosher-cellphones/ and http://www.zak.co.il/tddpirate/2007/02/04/rabbi-eliashiv-declared-war-on-the-deaf/)

        • Dotan Cohen
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
            > 1. Why are the articles in PDF format? PDF suffers from poor accessibility,
            > inconvenience, low ability to be hacked and re-used, and other problems.
            > I don't have a PDF viewer configured in my browser, and when clicking on the
            > link, one of them was downloaded to my hard-disk, and I am too inconvenienced
            > to open it using a PDF viewer.

            I actually think that PDF is great. It is freely available, preserves
            formatting across OS / applications, and is contained in a single file
            ([X]HTML is not). Is is searchable and the text is extractable. Is is
            also accessible to the disabled, though Linux support for that feature
            may be missing (a problem with Linux applications, not with PDF
            itself). There are RTL issues with PDF though.

            >> If anyone is willing to contribute, submit an article or give a feedback,
            >> contact Digital Whisper crew here - editor@...

            When I get around to it!

            --
            Dotan Cohen

            http://what-is-what.com
            http://gibberish.co.il
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2009
              On Sunday 04 Oct 2009 09:42:06 Omer Zak wrote:
              > In my opinion, PDF format is a fine choice, and I'd advise it to be
              > first choice for fully sighted people.

              Why? Show me your reasons! In the previous message, I've given several reasons
              for its problematic nature:

              <<<<<<<<<<<<<
              1. Why are the articles in PDF format? PDF suffers from poor accessibility,
              inconvenience, low ability to be hacked and re-used, and other problems.
              I don't have a PDF viewer configured in my browser, and when clicking on the
              link, one of them was downloaded to my hard-disk, and I am too inconvenienced
              to open it using a PDF viewer.

              Please offer a rebuttal for them.

              > For people with special needs, do provide also a HTML/XHTML version, as
              > suggested by Shlomi.

              I am not sight-impaired but I also prefer HTML/XHTML due to the advantages
              above. A PDF version unnecessarily inconveniences me.

              Optimising Code for Speed - http://shlom.in/optimise

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2009
                On Sunday 04 Oct 2009 13:09:51 Dotan Cohen wrote:
                > > 1. Why are the articles in PDF format? PDF suffers from poor
                > > accessibility, inconvenience, low ability to be hacked and re-used, and
                > > other problems. I don't have a PDF viewer configured in my browser, and
                > > when clicking on the link, one of them was downloaded to my hard-disk,
                > > and I am too inconvenienced to open it using a PDF viewer.
                >
                > I actually think that PDF is great. It is freely available, preserves
                > formatting across OS / applications, and is contained in a single file
                > ([X]HTML is not).

                The latter can be solved using solutions such as .zip or tar.gz or a CHM :

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help

                Also, you can always put the HTML you want under a certain path on the server
                and use mirroring tools. So it's a solved problem.

                > Is is searchable and the text is extractable.

                It is not as searchable as HTML or XML is, and the text is not easily
                extractable if there is fancy formatting or layout. And not all FOSS PDF
                viewers have adequate mechanisms for it.

                > Is is
                > also accessible to the disabled, though Linux support for that feature
                > may be missing (a problem with Linux applications, not with PDF
                > itself).

                It's much less accessible to the disabled than XHTML is.

                > There are RTL issues with PDF though.

                Big RTL issues.

                Nevertheless, by using DocBook/XML and other tools one can easily generate
                both XHTML and PDF output. And you can convert XHTML to PDF too using the
                print-to-file function of the browsers.

                > >> If anyone is willing to contribute, submit an article or give a
                > >> feedback, contact Digital Whisper crew here -
                > >> editor@...
                >
                > When I get around to it!

                Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                Parody on "The Fountainhead" - http://shlom.in/towtf

              • Budilovsky Evgeny
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2009
                  Guys,
                  I think we should take the phrack approach and publish our issues in plain text. Images can be replaced by ascii-art or in special cases encoded in base64 and embedded in the text. This will probably solve the formats wars since no one can argue that simple ascii text is not supported by it's system.

                  P.S.
                  Thanks for the great issue. In case you stick with the pdf format is it possible to make links click-able from the pdf this will save the copy-paste from the foxit reader to the firefox.

                  Best regards,
                  Evgeny

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2009
                    On Monday 05 Oct 2009 22:21:19 Budilovsky Evgeny wrote:
                    > Guys,
                    > I think we should take the phrack <http://www.phrack.org/> approach and
                    > publish our issues in plain text. Images can be replaced by ascii-art or in
                    > special cases encoded in base64 and embedded in the text. This will
                    > probably solve the formats wars since no one can argue that simple ascii
                    > text is not supported by it's system.

                    Was that a joke? ASCII Art is very inaccessible too, and usually looks
                    horrible. And plaintext is incredibly non-aesthetic. You can easily convert
                    XHTML to PDF or plaintext. And if you ask me, even PDF is better than
                    plaintext. Plaintext would look incredibly unprofessional, and would indicate
                    a bad laziness on your part. Let's not go there.

                    Let's not end up with the copper because we cannot decide between the silver
                    and the gold.

                    > P.S.
                    > Thanks for the great issue. In case you stick with the pdf format is it
                    > possible to make links click-able from the pdf this will save the
                    > copy-paste from the foxit reader to the firefox.
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Evgeny

                    > > > I actually think that PDF is great. It is freely available, preserves
                    > > > formatting across OS / applications, and is contained in a single file
                    > > > ([X]HTML is not).
                    > >
                    > > The latter can be solved using solutions such as .zip or tar.gz or a CHM
                    > > :
                    > >
                    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help
                    > >
                    > > Also, you can always put the HTML you want under a certain path on the
                    > > server
                    > > and use mirroring tools. So it's a solved problem.
                    > >
                    > > > Is is searchable and the text is extractable.
                    > >
                    > > It is not as searchable as HTML or XML is, and the text is not easily
                    > > extractable if there is fancy formatting or layout. And not all FOSS PDF
                    > > viewers have adequate mechanisms for it.
                    > >
                    > > > Is is
                    > > > also accessible to the disabled, though Linux support for that feature
                    > > > may be missing (a problem with Linux applications, not with PDF
                    > > > itself).
                    > >
                    > > It's much less accessible to the disabled than XHTML is.
                    > >
                    > > > There are RTL issues with PDF though.
                    > >
                    > > Big RTL issues.
                    > >
                    > > Nevertheless, by using DocBook/XML and other tools one can easily
                    > > generate both XHTML and PDF output. And you can convert XHTML to PDF too
                    > > using the print-to-file function of the browsers.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > >
                    > > Shlomi Fish

                    > > > When I get around to it!
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                    > > Parody on "The Fountainhead" - http://shlom.in/towtf
                    > >
                    > > Chuck Norris read the entire English Wikipedia in 24 hours. Twice.

                    Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                    Best Introductory Programming Language - http://shlom.in/intro-lang

                  • Micha Feigin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2009
                      On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 17:47:06 +0200
                      Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                      > On Sunday 04 Oct 2009 09:42:06 Omer Zak wrote:
                      > > In my opinion, PDF format is a fine choice, and I'd advise it to be
                      > > first choice for fully sighted people.
                      >
                      > Why? Show me your reasons! In the previous message, I've given several reasons
                      > for its problematic nature:
                      >

                      > <<<<<<<<<<<<<
                      > 1. Why are the articles in PDF format? PDF suffers from poor accessibility,
                      > inconvenience, low ability to be hacked and re-used, and other problems.
                      > I don't have a PDF viewer configured in my browser, and when clicking on the
                      > link, one of them was downloaded to my hard-disk, and I am too inconvenienced
                      > to open it using a PDF viewer.
                      > >>>>>>>>>>>>>

                      > Please offer a rebuttal for them.

                      With PDF you assure format and don't have math and font issues

                      With a PDF version I can more easily archive the article and print it

                      You can always use open with instead of save to open the article in a pdf viewer

                      > > For people with special needs, do provide also a HTML/XHTML version, as
                      > > suggested by Shlomi.
                      >
                      > I am not sight-impaired but I also prefer HTML/XHTML due to the advantages
                      > above. A PDF version unnecessarily inconveniences me.

                      Personally for light reading I like html for serious papers pdf is much better.

                      > > --- Omer

                      > > > HTML or XHTML preferably. Possibly with some help from CSS, MathML, SVG,
                      > > > PNG, etc.
                      > > >
                      > > > Note that you can create the magazine in various formats (including XHTML
                      > > > , PDF and even MS Word) using such technologies as:
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/web/choice-of-docs-formats
                      > > >/
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards,
                      > > >
                      > > > Shlomi Fish

                    • Micha Feigin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 6, 2009
                        On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 16:25:51 +0200
                        Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

                        > On Sunday 04 Oct 2009 13:09:51 Dotan Cohen wrote:
                        > > > 1. Why are the articles in PDF format? PDF suffers from poor
                        > > > accessibility, inconvenience, low ability to be hacked and re-used, and
                        > > > other problems. I don't have a PDF viewer configured in my browser, and
                        > > > when clicking on the link, one of them was downloaded to my hard-disk,
                        > > > and I am too inconvenienced to open it using a PDF viewer.
                        > >
                        > > I actually think that PDF is great. It is freely available, preserves
                        > > formatting across OS / applications, and is contained in a single file
                        > > ([X]HTML is not).
                        >
                        > The latter can be solved using solutions such as .zip or tar.gz or a CHM :
                        >
                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help
                        >
                        > Also, you can always put the HTML you want under a certain path on the server
                        > and use mirroring tools. So it's a solved problem.
                        >
                        > > Is is searchable and the text is extractable.
                        >
                        > It is not as searchable as HTML or XML is, and the text is not easily
                        > extractable if there is fancy formatting or layout. And not all FOSS PDF
                        > viewers have adequate mechanisms for it.
                        >
                        > > Is is
                        > > also accessible to the disabled, though Linux support for that feature
                        > > may be missing (a problem with Linux applications, not with PDF
                        > > itself).
                        >
                        > It's much less accessible to the disabled than XHTML is.
                        >
                        > > There are RTL issues with PDF though.
                        > >

                        > Big RTL issues.
                        >
                        > Nevertheless, by using DocBook/XML and other tools one can easily generate
                        > both XHTML and PDF output. And you can convert XHTML to PDF too using the
                        > print-to-file function of the browsers.

                        I find that to generally be seriously broken

                        > > When I get around to it!

                      • Dotan Cohen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
                          >> I actually think that PDF is great. It is freely available, preserves
                          >> formatting across OS / applications, and is contained in a single file
                          >> ([X]HTML is not).
                          >
                          > The latter can be solved using solutions such as .zip or tar.gz or a CHM :
                          >
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help
                          >
                          > Also, you can always put the HTML you want under a certain path on the server
                          > and use mirroring tools. So it's a solved problem.

                          CHM is far from being a universally-available solution. No ebook
                          reader can read it, and the choices for reading CHM files under Linux
                          are slim. Furthermore, being HTML-based, there is no reference
                          implementation for formatting, so it will look different on every
                          device.

                          >> Is is searchable and the text is extractable.
                          >
                          > It is not as searchable as HTML or XML is, and the text is not easily
                          > extractable if there is fancy formatting or layout. And not all FOSS PDF
                          > viewers have adequate mechanisms for it.

                          So fix your FOSS software. This would need to be done anyway for CHM,
                          read the previous comment.

                          >> Is is
                          >> also accessible to the disabled, though Linux support for that feature
                          >> may be missing (a problem with Linux applications, not with PDF
                          >> itself).
                          >
                          > It's much less accessible to the disabled than XHTML is.

                          Please explain. PDF has disability features built into the document.
                          You might also want to read up on reflowing PDF documetns for
                          small-screen devices and screen readers.

                          >> There are RTL issues with PDF though.
                          >>

                          > Big RTL issues.

                          I take that back. There are RTL isues with FOSS PDF readers. Acrobat
                          on Vista seems to have all the RTL issues taken care of.

                          > Nevertheless, by using DocBook/XML and other tools one can easily generate
                          > both XHTML and PDF output. And you can convert XHTML to PDF too using the
                          > print-to-file function of the browsers.

                          This is a good point. Does the author want to give multiple options?

                          --
                          Dotan Cohen

                          http://what-is-what.com
                          http://gibberish.co.il