Re: [hackers-il] "Interview with the Author of 'Mastering cat'"

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      On Wednesday 01 April 2009 16:17:30 Nadav Har'El wrote:
      > On Wed, Apr 01, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] "Interview with
      the Author of 'Mastering cat'"":
      > > I'm going to publish a new book for O'Reilly titled "Mastering cat". Here
      > > is an interview O'Reilly-Net conducted with me about it:
      > >
      > > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/
      >
      > I have heard rumors that both 'lynx' and 'tomcat' are projects that can
      > trace their ancestry to the 'cat' project. Can you comment on that?

      Of course they are. All the Mac OS X releases, which are named after the great
      cats ("Tiger", "Leopard", "Lion", etc.) also originated by concatenating many
      sources of the cat command (using cat), and then whipping them into shape to
      look like a GUI OS (also using cat). It's not true that they were based on
      other programs from the BSD code - only cat.

      Incidentally, there are rumours that Apple are about to release an
      interactive, GUI-based, version of the cat command called iCat.

      > Also, is it true that both 'tac' and 'rev' were actually attempts to create
      > clones of 'cat', but their developers were unable to replicate cat's
      > ingenious algorithms, resulting in buggy algorithms which caused the input
      > to be reversed, something which the developers of tac and rev later said
      > was "a feature, not a bug"?

      Actually, the opposite. cat originated as a way to save a few keystrokes and
      streamline the logic of doing "tac | tac" and "rev | rev". I cover this
      historical anecdote in my book. Using tac and/or rev twice also has the
      advantage of eliminating "useless use of cat" complaints. I also cover this in
      my book.

      > :-)

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      "The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q