Re: [hackers-il] "Interview with the Author of 'Mastering cat'"

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      On Wed, Apr 01, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] "Interview with the Author of 'Mastering cat'"":
      > I'm going to publish a new book for O'Reilly titled "Mastering cat". Here is
      > an interview O'Reilly-Net conducted with me about it:
      >
      > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/

      I have heard rumors that both 'lynx' and 'tomcat' are projects that can trace
      their ancestry to the 'cat' project. Can you comment on that?

      Also, is it true that both 'tac' and 'rev' were actually attempts to create
      clones of 'cat', but their developers were unable to replicate cat's ingenious
      algorithms, resulting in buggy algorithms which caused the input to be
      reversed, something which the developers of tac and rev later said was
      "a feature, not a bug"?

      :-)

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Apr 1 2009, 7 Nisan 5769
      Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |An Apple a day, keeps Windows away.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
        On Wednesday 01 April 2009 16:17:30 Nadav Har'El wrote:
        > On Wed, Apr 01, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] "Interview with
        the Author of 'Mastering cat'"":
        > > I'm going to publish a new book for O'Reilly titled "Mastering cat". Here
        > > is an interview O'Reilly-Net conducted with me about it:
        > >
        > > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/
        >
        > I have heard rumors that both 'lynx' and 'tomcat' are projects that can
        > trace their ancestry to the 'cat' project. Can you comment on that?

        Of course they are. All the Mac OS X releases, which are named after the great
        cats ("Tiger", "Leopard", "Lion", etc.) also originated by concatenating many
        sources of the cat command (using cat), and then whipping them into shape to
        look like a GUI OS (also using cat). It's not true that they were based on
        other programs from the BSD code - only cat.

        Incidentally, there are rumours that Apple are about to release an
        interactive, GUI-based, version of the cat command called iCat.

        > Also, is it true that both 'tac' and 'rev' were actually attempts to create
        > clones of 'cat', but their developers were unable to replicate cat's
        > ingenious algorithms, resulting in buggy algorithms which caused the input
        > to be reversed, something which the developers of tac and rev later said
        > was "a feature, not a bug"?

        Actually, the opposite. cat originated as a way to save a few keystrokes and
        streamline the logic of doing "tac | tac" and "rev | rev". I cover this
        historical anecdote in my book. Using tac and/or rev twice also has the
        advantage of eliminating "useless use of cat" complaints. I also cover this in
        my book.

        > :-)

        Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
        "The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q