"Interview with the Author of 'Mastering cat'"

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2009
      I'm going to publish a new book for O'Reilly titled "Mastering cat". Here is
      an interview O'Reilly-Net conducted with me about it:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/

      Enjoy!

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      My Aphorisms - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

      read.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
        On Wed, Apr 01, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] "Interview with the Author of 'Mastering cat'"":
        > I'm going to publish a new book for O'Reilly titled "Mastering cat". Here is
        > an interview O'Reilly-Net conducted with me about it:
        >
        > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/

        I have heard rumors that both 'lynx' and 'tomcat' are projects that can trace
        their ancestry to the 'cat' project. Can you comment on that?

        Also, is it true that both 'tac' and 'rev' were actually attempts to create
        clones of 'cat', but their developers were unable to replicate cat's ingenious
        algorithms, resulting in buggy algorithms which caused the input to be
        reversed, something which the developers of tac and rev later said was
        "a feature, not a bug"?

        :-)

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Apr 1 2009, 7 Nisan 5769
        Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |An Apple a day, keeps Windows away.
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
          On Wednesday 01 April 2009 16:17:30 Nadav Har'El wrote:
          > On Wed, Apr 01, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] "Interview with
          the Author of 'Mastering cat'"":
          > > I'm going to publish a new book for O'Reilly titled "Mastering cat". Here
          > > is an interview O'Reilly-Net conducted with me about it:
          > >
          > > http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Mastering-Cat/
          >
          > I have heard rumors that both 'lynx' and 'tomcat' are projects that can
          > trace their ancestry to the 'cat' project. Can you comment on that?

          Of course they are. All the Mac OS X releases, which are named after the great
          cats ("Tiger", "Leopard", "Lion", etc.) also originated by concatenating many
          sources of the cat command (using cat), and then whipping them into shape to
          look like a GUI OS (also using cat). It's not true that they were based on
          other programs from the BSD code - only cat.

          Incidentally, there are rumours that Apple are about to release an
          interactive, GUI-based, version of the cat command called iCat.

          > Also, is it true that both 'tac' and 'rev' were actually attempts to create
          > clones of 'cat', but their developers were unable to replicate cat's
          > ingenious algorithms, resulting in buggy algorithms which caused the input
          > to be reversed, something which the developers of tac and rev later said
          > was "a feature, not a bug"?

          Actually, the opposite. cat originated as a way to save a few keystrokes and
          streamline the logic of doing "tac | tac" and "rev | rev". I cover this
          historical anecdote in my book. Using tac and/or rev twice also has the
          advantage of eliminating "useless use of cat" complaints. I also cover this in
          my book.

          > :-)

          Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
          "The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q