Re: [hackers-il] [Slightly OT] Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22 6:28 AM
      On Sun, Mar 22, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] [Slightly OT] Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console":
      > Today I had to some work on one of my open-source projects on Windows. After
      > using the default console window for a while, I thought I wanted to die. Then
      > after searching Google for "windows console" I found this:
      >
      > http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

      On Windows, I usually use cygwin, and run "zsh" as my console. This not
      only do tab completion and history the way I want it, but is basically
      the full shell I love on Unix and Linux, and I can use all the normal Unix
      utilities (less, rm, etc.) and not their broken MS-Windows counterparts.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Mar 22 2009, 26 Adar 5769
      Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |How long a minute depends on what side of
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22 7:13 AM
        On Sunday 22 March 2009 15:28:19 Nadav Har'El wrote:
        > On Sun, Mar 22, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] [Slightly OT]
        Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console":
        > > Today I had to some work on one of my open-source projects on Windows.
        > > After using the default console window for a while, I thought I wanted to
        > > die. Then after searching Google for "windows console" I found this:
        > >
        > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
        >
        > On Windows, I usually use cygwin, and run "zsh" as my console.

        Well, zsh is not a console - it is a shell. Generally, you open a console
        window and on top of it run a shell like bash, zsh, Win32's cmd.exe, etc. The
        point of my link is that it is a FOSS program that replaces the hideous MSWin
        console window with a more decent alternative. On top of it you can run
        CMD.EXE , cygwin's bash and I presume that zsh too. (I didn't try, but I don't
        see why it shouldn't work).

        > This not
        > only do tab completion and history the way I want it, but is basically
        > the full shell I love on Unix and Linux, and I can use all the normal Unix
        > utilities (less, rm, etc.) and not their broken MS-Windows counterparts.

        I also prefer to use bash on cygwin, but:

        1. Would still run it under this improved "Console".

        2. Sometimes using bash/zsh on cygwin is not an option because it confuses
        MinGW32 and other native Win32 programs. I recently got an error when trying
        to build my program using MinGW32 because sh.exe was in the path. So I had to
        use CMD.EXE for that.

        Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
        http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/ways_to_do_it.html

        read.