[Slightly OT] Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009
      Hi all!

      Today I had to some work on one of my open-source projects on Windows. After
      using the default console window for a while, I thought I wanted to die. Then
      after searching Google for "windows console" I found this:

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

      An open-source and free-of-charge improved console window for Windows. It has
      tabs, presets, copy+paste (using shift+mouse click), customisable background
      and most everything else we've come to expect from modern terminal emulators
      on UNIX like KDE's konsole. As a fallback, it can invoke the normal Windows
      console window, which can be used for the same session at the same time.

      Enjoy!

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

      read.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009
        On Sun, Mar 22, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] [Slightly OT] Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console":
        > Today I had to some work on one of my open-source projects on Windows. After
        > using the default console window for a while, I thought I wanted to die. Then
        > after searching Google for "windows console" I found this:
        >
        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

        On Windows, I usually use cygwin, and run "zsh" as my console. This not
        only do tab completion and history the way I want it, but is basically
        the full shell I love on Unix and Linux, and I can use all the normal Unix
        utilities (less, rm, etc.) and not their broken MS-Windows counterparts.

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Mar 22 2009, 26 Adar 5769
        Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |How long a minute depends on what side of
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009
          On Sunday 22 March 2009 15:28:19 Nadav Har'El wrote:
          > On Sun, Mar 22, 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] [Slightly OT]
          Improved MS-Windows Console - https://sourceforge.net/projects/console":
          > > Today I had to some work on one of my open-source projects on Windows.
          > > After using the default console window for a while, I thought I wanted to
          > > die. Then after searching Google for "windows console" I found this:
          > >
          > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
          >
          > On Windows, I usually use cygwin, and run "zsh" as my console.

          Well, zsh is not a console - it is a shell. Generally, you open a console
          window and on top of it run a shell like bash, zsh, Win32's cmd.exe, etc. The
          point of my link is that it is a FOSS program that replaces the hideous MSWin
          console window with a more decent alternative. On top of it you can run
          CMD.EXE , cygwin's bash and I presume that zsh too. (I didn't try, but I don't
          see why it shouldn't work).

          > This not
          > only do tab completion and history the way I want it, but is basically
          > the full shell I love on Unix and Linux, and I can use all the normal Unix
          > utilities (less, rm, etc.) and not their broken MS-Windows counterparts.

          I also prefer to use bash on cygwin, but:

          1. Would still run it under this improved "Console".

          2. Sometimes using bash/zsh on cygwin is not an option because it confuses
          MinGW32 and other native Win32 programs. I recently got an error when trying
          to build my program using MinGW32 because sh.exe was in the path. So I had to
          use CMD.EXE for that.

          Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
          http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/ways_to_do_it.html

          read.