Re: [hackers-il] "Licences Wars"

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
      On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 01:33 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > Another curious licence is the Affero GPL -
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License - which aims to
      > close the "Application Service Provider Loophole". What it means is that if I
      > install an AGPLed program on a web-server and modify it then I must make my
      > modifications public.

      It is my understanding that you do not have to make your modifications
      available to people, who don't surf your Web site. So if you install
      the stuff on your own PC and allow only localhost to access it, then you
      don't have to release your modifications to the public.

      But IANAL and I may be factually mistaken about this.

      > 5. Bad Idea No. 5: Use the GPL or the LGPL:
      [... snipped ...]
      > The GPL and LGPL are of more political nature than other similar FOSS
      > licences, and as such should be avoided.

      I agree that GPL and LGPL have political agenda.
      I disagree that they should be avoided because of this reason.

      In an ideal world, in which all software vendors act fairly and compete
      only over the merits of their products, politics would not be necessary.

      But in today's world, politically-charged licenses - on at least part of
      the software running the world - are essential to keep the unfair
      software vendors in check. For, without viral licenses, they can take
      over any Free Software and create closed source derivatives out of it.

      Unrelated to the above, consider the fragmentation of the Unix world in
      the 1980's vs. the natural tendency to converge in the Linux world. The
      GPL played an important role in making this convergence happen.

      > Finally, not a statement of a bad idea in itself, but a call to use the X11
      > Licence (or similar FOSS licences). That's because
      >
      > - It's simple.
      > - It's easy to understand.
      > - It's practically PD which is what people innocently expect.
      > - Much fewer worries on who can violate your licence.
      > - Still gives you protection against litigation.
      > - It's GPL-compatible.
      > - You can boast that your program is Public domain / BSD-style.

      However the X11 License still allows unfair software vendors to use your
      software to maintain their stranglehold over the software world.

      --
      Did you shave a yak today?

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
        Hi Omer!

        On Thursday 06 November 2008, Omer Zak wrote:
        > On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 01:33 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
        > > Another curious licence is the Affero GPL -
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License - which aims
        > > to close the "Application Service Provider Loophole". What it means is
        > > that if I install an AGPLed program on a web-server and modify it then I
        > > must make my modifications public.
        >
        > It is my understanding that you do not have to make your modifications
        > available to people, who don't surf your Web site. So if you install
        > the stuff on your own PC and allow only localhost to access it, then you
        > don't have to release your modifications to the public.
        >
        > But IANAL and I may be factually mistaken about this.

        No, you are right. I should have phrased it as an "on a public web-server".
        However, this misphrasing still doesn't make it a better licence, or make it
        any more free accrding to my interpretation of the Free Software Definition.

        > > 5. Bad Idea No. 5: Use the GPL or the LGPL:
        >
        > [... snipped ...]
        >
        > > The GPL and LGPL are of more political nature than other similar FOSS
        > > licences, and as such should be avoided.
        >
        > I agree that GPL and LGPL have political agenda.
        > I disagree that they should be avoided because of this reason.
        >
        > In an ideal world, in which all software vendors act fairly and compete
        > only over the merits of their products, politics would not be necessary.
        >
        > But in today's world, politically-charged licenses - on at least part of
        > the software running the world - are essential to keep the unfair
        > software vendors in check. For, without viral licenses, they can take
        > over any Free Software and create closed source derivatives out of it.

        The SleepyCat licence is a viral licence, but is much less politically charged
        than the GPL, and I didn't have a problem understanding it. As a result I
        recommend using it instead of the GPL, should you decide to use a viral
        licence.

        Similarly, the Artistic 2.0 licence is LGPL-like, and should be used instead
        of the LGPL because it's less politically charged and problematic.

        > Unrelated to the above, consider the fragmentation of the Unix world in
        > the 1980's vs. the natural tendency to converge in the Linux world. The
        > GPL played an important role in making this convergence happen.

        Possibly - I'm not sure. It preceded my time. However, there's a strong
        convergence in the BSD, X11, and Apache worlds today, and they are all based
        on BSD-style licences. GPL doesn't positively prevent fragmentation, as it
        explicitly allows forking.

        > > Finally, not a statement of a bad idea in itself, but a call to use the
        > > X11 Licence (or similar FOSS licences). That's because
        > >
        > > - It's simple.
        > > - It's easy to understand.
        > > - It's practically PD which is what people innocently expect.
        > > - Much fewer worries on who can violate your licence.
        > > - Still gives you protection against litigation.
        > > - It's GPL-compatible.
        > > - You can boast that your program is Public domain / BSD-style.
        >
        > However the X11 License still allows unfair software vendors to use your
        > software to maintain their stranglehold over the software world.

        So do the LGPL/Artistic/etc. licences within some legally-complying limits.
        And even the GPL can be used as long as one does not directly link to GPLed
        code. In any case, I'm not too worried about trying to undermine "unfair
        software vendors". If they pose a threat (which I don't think they do), then
        no amount of keeping my code GPLed will prevent that threat. If they don't
        pose a threat, then making my code viral will not help them and may likely
        pose a problem to many benevolent developers (also of FOSS). To quote Alan
        Kay, "Don't worry about what everybody else are doing. The best way to
        predict the future is to invent it.".

        ----------

        One thing I forgot to note is that the GPL often stands against the Hacker
        Ethics as presented by ESR in http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
        (and which I agree with), that says that "No problem should ever have to be
        solved twice.". For example, the FSF now started the GNU PDF project so it
        will be a GPL version 3-licenced code because both ghostscript and xpdf are
        GPLv2-only. Or the story here - http://www.osnews.com/story/7241 that said
        that:

        {{{{{{{{
        Once before, someone had contributed a patch to add boolean operations, but
        that patch relied on a polygon clipping library provided under an
        incompatible license. There's little more frustrating than having a solution
        in hand, only to be hamstrung by legal problems. Even though it was an
        important feature for us, we regretfully postponed development of it into the
        distant future on our roadmap and proceeded with other work.
        }}}}}}}}

        Or the fact OpenBSD is now re-implementing a lot of GNU GPL code from scratch
        because they find the GPL too restrictive.

        And I should also note that often one can build upon non-GPL-like-code and not
        release the derived work as FOSS, without it causing any harm, and actually
        causing a lot of good. Which is otherwise prevented if the code is GPL.

        Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
        http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/ways_to_do_it.html

        fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
      • Amit Aronovitch
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008

          On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

          Now. The first thing I'll mention is that it is not entirely agreed upon which
          licences are free/open-source and which are not:

          The original Artistic Licence (authored by Larry Wall for dual-licensing perl)
          is:

          * considered non-free (and non-GPL-compatible) by the FSF

          * considered free by Debian.

          * considered non-free by RedHat.

          * considered free by Mandriva.

          * considered open-source by the OSI -
          http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0.php

          * was considered a contract in a certain judgement:

          http://lwn.net/Articles/246695/

          (Who are you going to believe?)

          Possibly all. The reason is that "freeness" is not a boolean parameter. Not even a single parameter real-valued scale. There are multiple criteria, possibly contradicting each other. Much like human rights...
          It is much more practical to talk about specific definitions, such as OSI-free/DFSG-free/FSF-free etc.
          As your examples clearly demonstrate, these do not comply to a total ordering (in the mathematical sense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_order ).

          You should decide how you *want* your work to be distributed and choose the license accordingly (effectively decide which criteria should take priority). CC has a nice mechanism for it.

          The Creative Commons Attribution (CC-by) and Attribution-ShareAlike Licences
          (CC-by-sa) are considered free (but not GPL-compatible) by the FSF (see
          http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#OtherLicenses ), while the
          Debian legal team concluded that they were not free.[1]

          Notes:
          (1) Version 3.0 CC licenses *are* considered DFSG-free.
          (2) As for 2.0 and 2.5, seems that the issue is undecided, and under negotiations (between CC and Debian-legal)
          http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#head-67131dbee718a24e1d227819dd818784aceb9cc9
           Personally, I think this is a case of unreasonably paranoidic interpretation of the license and they *should* be considered DFSG-free.

          {{{{{{
          [1] - I should note that I have issues with the entire Debian policy of
          including only free-as-in-speech material in their distribution, regardless
          of its type. I don't feel that non-software-content should abide by the same
          rules as software,

          In principle, I tend to agree. However you should specify which of the 9 guidelines ( http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines ) if any, could be lifted for non-software contents.
          This might not be as easy as it seems. For example, the most common (and annoying) cause for removed documentation in Debian is rejection of the GFDL. However, this can not be avoided. Because of the GFDL's reuirements on availability of opaque sources (which is a "restriction on redistribution"), one would not be able to (automatically) remove deprecated documentation packages from Debian repositories without legally violating the GFDL.
          {{{ The part that I find most annoying is not the rejection of the GFDL by itself, but the tendency of some package maintainers to *delete* the GFDL docs instead of splitting the package into "free" and "non-free" parts }}

          and even RMS said that computer games are morally allowed
          to have non-free graphics, sound, and plots as long as their engines are
          free:

          http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/09/191257

          So Debian are trying to be holier than the pope here and try to coerce
          everybody into abiding by irrational rules.

          As I said, you can't compare Debian and the FSF with a "greater than" relation. And DFSG freeness is not strictly a question of morality. For example, mandatory clickwrap might not be immoral, but allowing it would place an unreasonable burden on Debian users.

          5. Bad Idea No. 5: Use the GPL or the LGPL:

          The GPL/LGPL contain many additional restrictions to the concept of copyleft,
          and are very mis-understood, over-hyped, and don't maintain compatibility
          with newer versions. Even the LGPL is reportedly problematic:

          http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.642822.36

          The GPL and LGPL are of more political nature than other similar FOSS
          licences, and as such should be avoided. I recommend using the SleepyCat
          licence ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepycat_License ), which is a
          strong-copyleft licence, that is compatible with GPLv2 and above, instead of
          the GPL and the Artistic 2.0 (or above) licence instead of the LGPL.

          I read the GPLv2 originally once and couldn't understand it. The LGPLv2 or the
          GPLv3 would likely prove to be more problematic.

          True - simplicity is a valid consideration for choosing the license. If it is more important to you that your *users* understand your license than the lawyers of some software corps - don't choose GPL.
          The FSF seems to take the position that it is more important to protect the users and authors from IP lawyers finding loopholes to limit usage or redistribution of the software.

          --------

          Finally, not a statement of a bad idea in itself, but a call to use the X11

          (just dont confuse with XFree86 1.1 license ;-) )

          Licence (or similar FOSS licences). That's because

          - It's simple.
          - It's easy to understand.
          - It's practically PD which is what people innocently expect.
          - Much fewer worries on who can violate your licence.
          - Still gives you protection against litigation.
          - It's GPL-compatible.
          - You can boast that your program is Public domain / BSD-style.

          Good choice in many cases.
          However, note that some people who spent a lot of time developing free software, want to ensure it is used on fair terms ( as Linus said: "I give out code, I want you to do the same."
          http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/03/09/torvalds-linux-licensing-cz_dl_0309torvalds1.html )
          and consider this more important than the "hacker ethics rule" of problems not having to be solved twice, or the desire to increase the user base.
          Copyleft is completely legitimate and there is nothing morally wrong with it.

             AA

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2008
            On Friday 07 November 2008, Amit Aronovitch wrote:
            > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
            > > Now. The first thing I'll mention is that it is not entirely agreed upon
            > > which
            > > licences are free/open-source and which are not:
            > >
            > > The original Artistic Licence (authored by Larry Wall for dual-licensing
            > > perl)
            > > is:
            > >
            > > * considered non-free (and non-GPL-compatible) by the FSF
            > >
            > > * considered free by Debian.
            > >
            > > * considered non-free by RedHat.
            > >
            > > * considered free by Mandriva.
            > >
            > > * considered open-source by the OSI -
            > > http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0.php
            > >
            > > * was considered a contract in a certain judgement:
            > >
            > > http://lwn.net/Articles/246695/
            > >
            > > (Who are you going to believe?)
            >
            > Possibly all. The reason is that "freeness" is not a boolean parameter. Not
            > even a single parameter real-valued scale. There are multiple criteria,
            > possibly contradicting each other. Much like human rights...
            > It is much more practical to talk about specific definitions, such as
            > OSI-free/DFSG-free/FSF-free etc.
            > As your examples clearly demonstrate, these do not comply to a total
            > ordering (in the mathematical sense:
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_order ).
            >
            > You should decide how you *want* your work to be distributed and choose the
            > license accordingly (effectively decide which criteria should take
            > priority). CC has a nice mechanism for it.

            Well, generally speaking one should strive for endorsement as free (and
            preferably GPL-compatibility) by everybody. Otherwise, you may be facing
            problems. As for CC, the standard CC licences
            (CC-by/CC-by-sa/CC-by-nc-sa/CC-by-nd/etc.) are not suitable for software due
            to their attribution clause:

            http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

            In fact, the Creative Commons does not let you choose "software" as the type
            of artwork, when filling their form.

            > > The Creative Commons Attribution (CC-by) and Attribution-ShareAlike
            > > Licences
            > > (CC-by-sa) are considered free (but not GPL-compatible) by the FSF (see
            > > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#OtherLicenses ), while
            > > the Debian legal team concluded that they were not free.[1]
            >
            > Notes:
            > (1) Version 3.0 CC licenses *are* considered DFSG-free.

            I see. That's god.

            > (2) As for 2.0 and 2.5, seems that the issue is undecided, and under
            > negotiations (between CC and Debian-legal)
            > http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#head-67131dbee718a24e1d227819dd818784ac
            >eb9cc9 Personally, I think this is a case of unreasonably paranoidic
            > interpretation of the license and they *should* be considered DFSG-free.

            OK.

            > > {{{{{{
            > > [1] - I should note that I have issues with the entire Debian policy of
            > > including only free-as-in-speech material in their distribution,
            > > regardless of its type. I don't feel that non-software-content should
            > > abide by the same
            > > rules as software,
            >
            > In principle, I tend to agree. However you should specify which of the 9
            > guidelines ( http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines ) if any,
            > could be lifted for non-software contents.
            > This might not be as easy as it seems. For example, the most common (and
            > annoying) cause for removed documentation in Debian is rejection of the
            > GFDL. However, this can not be avoided. Because of the GFDL's reuirements
            > on availability of opaque sources (which is a "restriction on
            > redistribution"), one would not be able to (automatically) remove
            > deprecated documentation packages from Debian repositories without legally
            > violating the GFDL. {{{ The part that I find most annoying is not the
            > rejection of the GFDL by itself, but the tendency of some package
            > maintainers to *delete* the GFDL docs instead of splitting the package into
            > "free" and "non-free" parts }}

            Interesting. Wouldn't one be able to remove the packages from the Deian's
            repository and let it rot on a public (and accessible) web-site of deprecated
            packages? IANAL, so I don't know.

            > and even RMS said that computer games are morally allowed
            >
            > > to have non-free graphics, sound, and plots as long as their engines are
            > > free:
            > >
            > > http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/09/191257
            > >
            > > So Debian are trying to be holier than the pope here and try to coerce
            > > everybody into abiding by irrational rules.
            >
            > As I said, you can't compare Debian and the FSF with a "greater than"
            > relation. And DFSG freeness is not strictly a question of morality. For
            > example, mandatory clickwrap might not be immoral, but allowing it would
            > place an unreasonable burden on Debian users.

            OK.

            > > 5. Bad Idea No. 5: Use the GPL or the LGPL:
            > >
            > > The GPL/LGPL contain many additional restrictions to the concept of
            > > copyleft,
            > > and are very mis-understood, over-hyped, and don't maintain compatibility
            > > with newer versions. Even the LGPL is reportedly problematic:
            > >
            > > http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.642822.36
            > >
            > > The GPL and LGPL are of more political nature than other similar FOSS
            > > licences, and as such should be avoided. I recommend using the SleepyCat
            > > licence ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepycat_License ), which is a
            > > strong-copyleft licence, that is compatible with GPLv2 and above, instead
            > > of
            > > the GPL and the Artistic 2.0 (or above) licence instead of the LGPL.
            > >
            > > I read the GPLv2 originally once and couldn't understand it. The LGPLv2
            > > or the
            > > GPLv3 would likely prove to be more problematic.
            >
            > True - simplicity is a valid consideration for choosing the license. If it
            > is more important to you that your *users* understand your license than the
            > lawyers of some software corps - don't choose GPL.
            > The FSF seems to take the position that it is more important to protect the
            > users and authors from IP lawyers finding loopholes to limit usage or
            > redistribution of the software.

            Yes.

            > --------
            >
            > > Finally, not a statement of a bad idea in itself, but a call to use the
            > > X11
            >
            > (just dont confuse with XFree86 1.1 license ;-) )

            Yes.

            > > Licence (or similar FOSS licences). That's because
            > >
            > > - It's simple.
            > > - It's easy to understand.
            > > - It's practically PD which is what people innocently expect.
            > > - Much fewer worries on who can violate your licence.
            > > - Still gives you protection against litigation.
            > > - It's GPL-compatible.
            > > - You can boast that your program is Public domain / BSD-style.
            >
            > Good choice in many cases.
            > However, note that some people who spent a lot of time developing free
            > software, want to ensure it is used on fair terms ( as Linus said: "I give
            > out code, I want you to do the same."
            > http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/03/09/torvalds-linux-licensing-cz_dl_
            >0309torvalds1.html) and consider this more important than the "hacker ethics
            > rule" of problems not having to be solved twice, or the desire to increase
            > the user base. Copyleft is completely legitimate and there is nothing
            > morally wrong with it.

            Didn't say there was. What I did say was that GPLv2-only or GPLv3-and-above
            (or even LGPLv3-and-above due to its incompatibility with GPLv2) do often
            stand against the Hacker's Ethics because they pose unnecessary limits on
            which code can be linked to other code. This is while a strong copyleft
            licence such as the SleepyCat Licence, or simpler weak copyleft licences such
            as Artistic 2.0 - which are less political and loaded than the FSF licences -
            are much better in this regard. As a result, I find licensing under them
            preferable and in better accordance to the Hacker's Ethics.

            The reason I like to use the X11L, is not because of that reason, but rather
            because not only I don't mind people "abusing" my software by building upon
            it to make a proprietary/non-free/non-GPL-compatible product, but I
            encourage it in some specific contexts.

            But it's ultimately up to the originator to decide which licence to use. If
            you want to publish your software under the Microsoft Vista EULA, then all
            the power to you. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but I don't
            consider it an immoral act per-ce.

            Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
            Parody on "The Fountainhead" - http://xrl.us/bjria

            fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
              On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 20:33 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
              > On Thursday 06 November 2008, Omer Zak wrote:
              > > In an ideal world, in which all software vendors act fairly and compete
              > > only over the merits of their products, politics would not be necessary.
              > >
              > > But in today's world, politically-charged licenses - on at least part of
              > > the software running the world - are essential to keep the unfair
              > > software vendors in check. For, without viral licenses, they can take
              > > over any Free Software and create closed source derivatives out of it.
              >
              > The SleepyCat licence is a viral licence, but is much less politically charged
              > than the GPL, and I didn't have a problem understanding it. As a result I
              > recommend using it instead of the GPL, should you decide to use a viral
              > licence.

              I understood that you are (not strongly) against all viral licenses,
              regardless of whether they provide us with protection against the unfair
              software vendors.

              > Similarly, the Artistic 2.0 licence is LGPL-like, and should be used instead
              > of the LGPL because it's less politically charged and problematic.

              See above.

              > > Unrelated to the above, consider the fragmentation of the Unix world in
              > > the 1980's vs. the natural tendency to converge in the Linux world. The
              > > GPL played an important role in making this convergence happen.
              >
              > Possibly - I'm not sure. It preceded my time. However, there's a strong
              > convergence in the BSD, X11, and Apache worlds today, and they are all based
              > on BSD-style licences. GPL doesn't positively prevent fragmentation, as it
              > explicitly allows forking.

              1. Research this! The above fragmentation can be considered to have
              preceded also my time, because I was not conscious of this world until
              1991 (unrelated to Linux).

              2. In practice, it turns out that overwhelming majority of GPLed
              software does not fragment.
              While the GPL allows forking, in practice it turns out that there is an
              incentive for people to stick together in a single project, because if
              the original GPLed project has forked into two projects, then they are
              allowed to use each other's improvements, and eventually one of them
              turns out to be better (code/documentation/management/politics/business)
              and wins over the minds and hearts of developers and the other project
              dies natural death.

              > In any case, I'm not too worried about trying to undermine "unfair
              > software vendors".

              You can afford the luxury of not being too worried about unfair software
              vendors, because other people do the heavy worrying in your behalf.
              This is like parents who get away with not vaccinating their children
              against childhood diseases due to ideological reasons, and it turns out
              that their children stay healthy because the other children in their
              kindergarten or classroom have been vaccinated.

              > If they pose a threat (which I don't think they do), then
              > no amount of keeping my code GPLed will prevent that threat.

              This is a case in which every little bit helps.

              > If they don't
              > pose a threat, then making my code viral will not help them and may likely
              > pose a problem to many benevolent developers (also of FOSS).

              I think that LGPL is the best compromise - LGPLed software can be part
              of proprietary software, yet any modifications to the LGPLed part must
              be available in source code to users of the proprietary software, along
              with means for linking modified LGPLed modules into the software.

              > To quote Alan
              > Kay, "Don't worry about what everybody else are doing. The best way to
              > predict the future is to invent it.".

              This quote can be invoked as a reason to use GPL/LGPL, not only as a
              reason against it. By using GPL/LGPL on your software, you invent a
              future for Free Software.

              > One thing I forgot to note is that the GPL often stands against the Hacker
              > Ethics as presented by ESR in http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
              > (and which I agree with), that says that "No problem should ever have to be
              > solved twice.". For example, the FSF now started the GNU PDF project so it
              > will be a GPL version 3-licenced code because both ghostscript and xpdf are
              > GPLv2-only. Or the story here - http://www.osnews.com/story/7241 that said
              > that:
              >
              > {{{{{{{{
              > Once before, someone had contributed a patch to add boolean operations, but
              > that patch relied on a polygon clipping library provided under an
              > incompatible license. There's little more frustrating than having a solution
              > in hand, only to be hamstrung by legal problems. Even though it was an
              > important feature for us, we regretfully postponed development of it into the
              > distant future on our roadmap and proceeded with other work.
              > }}}}}}}}
              >
              > Or the fact OpenBSD is now re-implementing a lot of GNU GPL code from scratch
              > because they find the GPL too restrictive.

              The people, who slapped the GPL license on their code, expect to be paid
              in a way (not monetary), which OpenBSD is not willing to pay. This is
              not different from re-implementing a proprietary software application on
              your own because the one you can buy in shop is too expensive for you to
              buy.

              Your argument is not different in essence from the argument of someone,
              who wants to buy a Ferrari car but grumbles about its high price.

              > And I should also note that often one can build upon non-GPL-like-code and not
              > release the derived work as FOSS, without it causing any harm, and actually
              > causing a lot of good. Which is otherwise prevented if the code is GPL.

              RMS would disagree with you, and he could cite the printer driver
              example as an counterexample to your point.

              Did you shave a yak today?

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 19, 2008
                Hi Omer!

                Sorry for the late response.

                On Sunday 09 November 2008, Omer Zak wrote:
                > On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 20:33 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
                > > On Thursday 06 November 2008, Omer Zak wrote:
                > > > In an ideal world, in which all software vendors act fairly and compete
                > > > only over the merits of their products, politics would not be
                > > > necessary.
                > > >
                > > > But in today's world, politically-charged licenses - on at least part
                > > > of the software running the world - are essential to keep the unfair
                > > > software vendors in check. For, without viral licenses, they can take
                > > > over any Free Software and create closed source derivatives out of it.
                > >
                > > The SleepyCat licence is a viral licence, but is much less politically
                > > charged than the GPL, and I didn't have a problem understanding it. As a
                > > result I recommend using it instead of the GPL, should you decide to use
                > > a viral licence.
                >
                > I understood that you are (not strongly) against all viral licenses,
                > regardless of whether they provide us with protection against the unfair
                > software vendors.

                I am against them in the sense that I prefer not to use them for my code. But
                I accept the fact that some people want to use them. However, I do think that
                the SleepyCat licence is preferable over the GPL for the reasons I cited
                below.

                > > Similarly, the Artistic 2.0 licence is LGPL-like, and should be used
                > > instead of the LGPL because it's less politically charged and
                > > problematic.
                >
                > See above.

                The Artistic licence is not strong-copyleft. I am not against the Artistic
                licence (at least not as much I am against the GPL or the SleepyCat
                licences), but on the other hand, what I mean is that the GPL and LGPL, are
                too over-complicated, incomprehensible, and heavily misunderstood to be a
                wise choice as a licence.

                > > > Unrelated to the above, consider the fragmentation of the Unix world in
                > > > the 1980's vs. the natural tendency to converge in the Linux world.
                > > > The GPL played an important role in making this convergence happen.
                > >
                > > Possibly - I'm not sure. It preceded my time. However, there's a strong
                > > convergence in the BSD, X11, and Apache worlds today, and they are all
                > > based on BSD-style licences. GPL doesn't positively prevent
                > > fragmentation, as it explicitly allows forking.
                >
                > 1. Research this! The above fragmentation can be considered to have
                > preceded also my time, because I was not conscious of this world until
                > 1991 (unrelated to Linux).

                I have researched it to some extent.

                > 2. In practice, it turns out that overwhelming majority of GPLed
                > software does not fragment.
                > While the GPL allows forking, in practice it turns out that there is an
                > incentive for people to stick together in a single project, because if
                > the original GPLed project has forked into two projects, then they are
                > allowed to use each other's improvements, and eventually one of them
                > turns out to be better (code/documentation/management/politics/business)
                > and wins over the minds and hearts of developers and the other project
                > dies natural death.

                Well, the same thing can be said about forks of BSD-style-licensed projects
                that are both kept under the same licence. In regards to proprietary
                spin-offs - given enough motivation on those who remained FOSS, they can
                continue working on the codebase, and gain inspiration from the properietary
                spin-offs.

                > > In any case, I'm not too worried about trying to undermine "unfair
                > > software vendors".
                >
                > You can afford the luxury of not being too worried about unfair software
                > vendors, because other people do the heavy worrying in your behalf.
                > This is like parents who get away with not vaccinating their children
                > against childhood diseases due to ideological reasons, and it turns out
                > that their children stay healthy because the other children in their
                > kindergarten or classroom have been vaccinated.

                Interesting analogy. Well, companies who wish to develop proprietary software
                have enough BSD-licenced (or possibly also LGPL/Artistic/etc.) code or
                alterantively proprietary code that they can build on (like the Microsoft
                APIs) for them to not have to use any GPLed code.

                Furthermore, I don't think the FOSS world is under any threat from proprietary
                software vendors, that can be prevnted if I GPLed all my code. Can you cite
                any possible substantial threat?

                > > If they pose a threat (which I don't think they do), then
                > > no amount of keeping my code GPLed will prevent that threat.
                >
                > This is a case in which every little bit helps.
                >
                > > If they don't
                > > pose a threat, then making my code viral will not help them and may
                > > likely pose a problem to many benevolent developers (also of FOSS).
                >
                > I think that LGPL is the best compromise - LGPLed software can be part
                > of proprietary software, yet any modifications to the LGPLed part must
                > be available in source code to users of the proprietary software, along
                > with means for linking modified LGPLed modules into the software.

                Like I said, I still prefer LGPL-like-licences that are not the LGPL, because
                the LGPL is based on the GPL (only more complicated) and because I don't
                understand it.

                > > To quote Alan
                > > Kay, "Don't worry about what everybody else are doing. The best way to
                > > predict the future is to invent it.".
                >
                > This quote can be invoked as a reason to use GPL/LGPL, not only as a
                > reason against it. By using GPL/LGPL on your software, you invent a
                > future for Free Software.

                "Invent a future"? If I release software under any licence, I invent a future.
                The licence affects the kind of future there is going be, but not its
                substance.

                > > One thing I forgot to note is that the GPL often stands against the
                > > Hacker Ethics as presented by ESR in
                > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html (and which I agree with),
                > > that says that "No problem should ever have to be solved twice.". For
                > > example, the FSF now started the GNU PDF project so it will be a GPL
                > > version 3-licenced code because both ghostscript and xpdf are GPLv2-only.
                > > Or the story here - http://www.osnews.com/story/7241 that said that:
                > >
                > > {{{{{{{{
                > > Once before, someone had contributed a patch to add boolean operations,
                > > but that patch relied on a polygon clipping library provided under an
                > > incompatible license. There's little more frustrating than having a
                > > solution in hand, only to be hamstrung by legal problems. Even though it
                > > was an important feature for us, we regretfully postponed development of
                > > it into the distant future on our roadmap and proceeded with other work.
                > > }}}}}}}}
                > >
                > > Or the fact OpenBSD is now re-implementing a lot of GNU GPL code from
                > > scratch because they find the GPL too restrictive.
                >
                > The people, who slapped the GPL license on their code, expect to be paid
                > in a way (not monetary), which OpenBSD is not willing to pay. This is
                > not different from re-implementing a proprietary software application on
                > your own because the one you can buy in shop is too expensive for you to
                > buy.
                >
                > Your argument is not different in essence from the argument of someone,
                > who wants to buy a Ferrari car but grumbles about its high price.

                Have you noticed what I said about the Hacker Ethics? This is not about
                complying to the originator's whims. This is about making sure everyone in
                the world will build on each other's efforts instead of having to waste time
                in duplicating them.

                > > And I should also note that often one can build upon non-GPL-like-code
                > > and not release the derived work as FOSS, without it causing any harm,
                > > and actually causing a lot of good. Which is otherwise prevented if the
                > > code is GPL.
                >
                > RMS would disagree with you, and he could cite the printer driver
                > example as an counterexample to your point.

                I said "often" not "always". People such as RMS would claim that all
                proprietary software is Evil and should be avoided. My argument is that often
                it doesn't cause any damage.

                For example, someone integrated my Freecell Solver library in a shareware
                (without source) game he wrote titled Freecell 3D:

                http://www.ambermango.com/php/am/f3d/index.php

                He sells ths game online. It did not do any damage, because there are plenty
                of Freecell implementations around. I on my part am pretty happy with the
                open-source PySolFC.

                On the other hand, it has some innovative features that we can now duplicate,
                or draw inspiration from.

                Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                Understand what Open Source is - http://xrl.us/bjn82

                fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 23, 2008
                  On Wed, Nov 19, 2008, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Licences Wars"":
                  > Furthermore, I don't think the FOSS world is under any threat from proprietary
                  > software vendors, that can be prevnted if I GPLed all my code. Can you cite
                  > any possible substantial threat?

                  Thinking of future threats is hard (in the banking business, this is a whole
                  profession, and as you can see lately, the haven't been doing a very good
                  job. But as they say, "Hindsight is always 20:20", and it's easier to look
                  at the past.

                  And the experience of the last 20 years indeed shown that proprietary
                  software vendor's use of BSD has been a problem to free software. Not a huge
                  problem, certainly nothing that could ever kill free software, but a problem
                  nontheless.

                  Let me give you just a few examples.

                  In the second half of the 90s, X-Windows was quite popular - a department
                  (in universities, companies, etc.) would have strong Unix workstations
                  (from Sun, DEC, SGI, HP and other vendors) and people would have cheaper
                  machines showing the output from the strong machine using X-Windows. As
                  MS-Windows grew popular, people wanted to use their PC running Windows to
                  display X-Windows sessions. But unfortunately, the only X server available
                  for Windows was commercial software (Exceed), which could happen because X
                  was BSD-licensed and not GPL. Users (at the time, most had corporate or
                  university funds - they weren't home users) bit the bullet and paid. It took
                  literarly years before a free X server for Windows became available.

                  Another example - Mosix. Mosix (if you're familiar with it) was written over
                  a *proprietary* BSD variant called BSDI. Because the BSD licence allowed BSDI
                  to make it proprietary, and Mosix made the error in judgement (or, more
                  accurately, at the time of the judgement there weren't many alternatives)
                  of using it, for many years Mosix itself could not be made free software,
                  even though the people in the Hebrew University who developed it wanted to
                  do so.

                  Another less clear-cut example is the massive Unix diversity of the 90s.
                  A dozen companies, like Sun, HP, DEC, SGI, AT&T, SCO, BSDI, all created
                  their own variants of Unix and spent thousands of man-years on their
                  development. On the positive side, the Unix world was thriving because of
                  this diversity, but on the negative side, none of these thousands of man
                  years went into free software, and Richard Stallman and his friends had
                  to spend nearly a decade to replicate all this work. Is it surprising, then,
                  that Richard Stallman wanted to invent the copyleft license?

                  > > > If they pose a threat (which I don't think they do), then
                  > > > no amount of keeping my code GPLed will prevent that threat.

                  The GPL is not trying to prevent free software from being destroyed, but
                  rather to "force" people and companies into spending their work into free
                  software, rather than proprietary software. And I think you can't deny it's
                  succeeding. The Linux kernel is the most obvious example - after decades
                  where every company created their own kernel or took a BSD-licensed kernel
                  and "appropriated" it, in the last decade there is a huge push for all
                  comapnies to work together on the open Linux kernel, and all these companies
                  are "forced" to contribute their work back to free software.

                  > For example, someone integrated my Freecell Solver library in a shareware
                  > (without source) game he wrote titled Freecell 3D:
                  >
                  > http://www.ambermango.com/php/am/f3d/index.php
                  >
                  > He sells ths game online. It did not do any damage, because there are plenty
                  > of Freecell implementations around. I on my part am pretty happy with the
                  > open-source PySolFC.

                  Let's imagine that you wrote a great freecell solver library, but you suck at
                  UI and failed to create a graphical game based on that library, and wish that
                  someone created a UI on top of your library. If your library is BSD, someone
                  could create this UI but make it commercial and not even you can use it.
                  If your library is GPL, this person is forced to either make his code public
                  (so you and your friends can use it) or pay you for a new license.
                  Which of those scenarios will make you happier? I can't see how the GPL isn't
                  better in this scenario.

                  --
                  Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Nov 23 2008, 25 Heshvan 5769
                  Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |The two rules for success are: 1. Never
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 23, 2008
                    On Sunday 23 November 2008, Nadav Har'El wrote:
                    > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Licences
                    Wars"":
                    > > Furthermore, I don't think the FOSS world is under any threat from
                    > > proprietary software vendors, that can be prevnted if I GPLed all my
                    > > code. Can you cite any possible substantial threat?
                    >
                    > Thinking of future threats is hard (in the banking business, this is a
                    > whole profession, and as you can see lately, the haven't been doing a very
                    > good job. But as they say, "Hindsight is always 20:20", and it's easier to
                    > look at the past.
                    >
                    > And the experience of the last 20 years indeed shown that proprietary
                    > software vendor's use of BSD has been a problem to free software. Not a
                    > huge problem, certainly nothing that could ever kill free software, but a
                    > problem nontheless.
                    >
                    > Let me give you just a few examples.
                    >
                    > In the second half of the 90s, X-Windows was quite popular - a department
                    > (in universities, companies, etc.) would have strong Unix workstations
                    > (from Sun, DEC, SGI, HP and other vendors) and people would have cheaper
                    > machines showing the output from the strong machine using X-Windows. As
                    > MS-Windows grew popular, people wanted to use their PC running Windows to
                    > display X-Windows sessions. But unfortunately, the only X server available
                    > for Windows was commercial software (Exceed), which could happen because X
                    > was BSD-licensed and not GPL. Users (at the time, most had corporate or
                    > university funds - they weren't home users) bit the bullet and paid. It
                    > took literarly years before a free X server for Windows became available.

                    I agree this is a problem. However, if X-Windows were GPLed, then the people
                    who made Exceed and wanted to sell it, would not have made it in the first
                    place, because they had to make it GPLed. So either they would have
                    implemented it from scratch or not at all. It is possible that a different
                    group would have created a free X server for Windows, but it is possible that
                    no free X server would have been available at all. And if a different group
                    could have created a free X server for Windows without Exceed, they could
                    have certainly created it with it.

                    > Another example - Mosix. Mosix (if you're familiar with it) was written
                    > over a *proprietary* BSD variant called BSDI. Because the BSD licence
                    > allowed BSDI to make it proprietary, and Mosix made the error in judgement
                    > (or, more accurately, at the time of the judgement there weren't many
                    > alternatives) of using it, for many years Mosix itself could not be made
                    > free software, even though the people in the Hebrew University who
                    > developed it wanted to do so.

                    Well, the same problem could have been present if Mosix had chosen to use a
                    System V-based UNIX (or a different proprietary OS altogether) that never
                    originated from BSD-style code (although it did incorporate some code from
                    BSD). This is a problem on the judgement of the Mosix developers, not on the
                    availability of BSDI by itself.

                    > Another less clear-cut example is the massive Unix diversity of the 90s.
                    > A dozen companies, like Sun, HP, DEC, SGI, AT&T, SCO, BSDI, all created
                    > their own variants of Unix and spent thousands of man-years on their
                    > development. On the positive side, the Unix world was thriving because of
                    > this diversity, but on the negative side, none of these thousands of man
                    > years went into free software, and Richard Stallman and his friends had
                    > to spend nearly a decade to replicate all this work. Is it surprising,
                    > then, that Richard Stallman wanted to invent the copyleft license?

                    > The GPL is not trying to prevent free software from being destroyed, but
                    > rather to "force" people and companies into spending their work into free
                    > software, rather than proprietary software. And I think you can't deny it's
                    > succeeding. The Linux kernel is the most obvious example - after decades
                    > where every company created their own kernel or took a BSD-licensed kernel
                    > and "appropriated" it, in the last decade there is a huge push for all
                    > comapnies to work together on the open Linux kernel, and all these
                    > companies are "forced" to contribute their work back to free software.

                    This is true.

                    > > For example, someone integrated my Freecell Solver library in a shareware
                    > > (without source) game he wrote titled Freecell 3D:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.ambermango.com/php/am/f3d/index.php
                    > >
                    > > He sells ths game online. It did not do any damage, because there are
                    > > plenty of Freecell implementations around. I on my part am pretty happy
                    > > with the open-source PySolFC.
                    >
                    > Let's imagine that you wrote a great freecell solver library, but you suck
                    > at UI and failed to create a graphical game based on that library, and wish
                    > that someone created a UI on top of your library.

                    That's a lot of if's. When I started working on Freecell Solver, there were
                    already plenty of graphical Freecell games, possibly with support for other
                    variants of Solitaire. And there were also several open-source ones,
                    including some very polished ones.

                    As a result, I could have easily integrated my solver into one of them. So
                    your thought experiment is not very realistic, although it may be valid in
                    the general case.

                    > If your library is BSD,
                    > someone could create this UI but make it commercial and not even you can
                    > use it. If your library is GPL, this person is forced to either make his
                    > code public (so you and your friends can use it) or pay you for a new
                    > license.

                    He could also:

                    1. Develop his own Freecell solving library from scratch. That will probably
                    be less work than developing a graphical Freecell game.

                    2. Write a command line executable that uses the library call it, and process
                    its output. This strategy was taken by the PySolFC developers out of
                    convenience using my existing "fc-solve" executable.

                    3. Write a GPLed server for solving Freecell that the graphical game would
                    communicate with using TCP/IP or a different IPC mechanism.

                    4. Decide that developing a graphical game only to later release it as free
                    software won't be worth his time, and as a result not develop it at all.

                    In all of these cases, we won't have a graphical game as FOSS.

                    > Which of those scenarios will make you happier? I can't see how
                    > the GPL isn't better in this scenario.

                    I'd rather have a proprietary derived work than no work at all, or instead
                    someone duplicating my effort in creating a BSD or a proprietary replacement
                    for my work.

                    Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                    Interview with Ben Collins-Sussman - http://xrl.us/bjn8s

                    fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 9, 2009
                      On Sunday 23 November 2008 13:51:01 Shlomi Fish wrote:
                      > On Sunday 23 November 2008, Nadav Har'El wrote:
                      > > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Licences
                      >
                      > Wars"":
                      > > > Furthermore, I don't think the FOSS world is under any threat from
                      > > > proprietary software vendors, that can be prevnted if I GPLed all my
                      > > > code. Can you cite any possible substantial threat?
                      > >
                      > > Thinking of future threats is hard (in the banking business, this is a
                      > > whole profession, and as you can see lately, the haven't been doing a
                      > > very good job. But as they say, "Hindsight is always 20:20", and it's
                      > > easier to look at the past.
                      > >
                      > > And the experience of the last 20 years indeed shown that proprietary
                      > > software vendor's use of BSD has been a problem to free software. Not a
                      > > huge problem, certainly nothing that could ever kill free software, but a
                      > > problem nontheless.
                      > >
                      > > Let me give you just a few examples.
                      > >
                      > > In the second half of the 90s, X-Windows was quite popular - a department
                      > > (in universities, companies, etc.) would have strong Unix workstations
                      > > (from Sun, DEC, SGI, HP and other vendors) and people would have cheaper
                      > > machines showing the output from the strong machine using X-Windows. As
                      > > MS-Windows grew popular, people wanted to use their PC running Windows to
                      > > display X-Windows sessions. But unfortunately, the only X server
                      > > available for Windows was commercial software (Exceed), which could
                      > > happen because X was BSD-licensed and not GPL. Users (at the time, most
                      > > had corporate or university funds - they weren't home users) bit the
                      > > bullet and paid. It took literarly years before a free X server for
                      > > Windows became available.
                      >
                      > I agree this is a problem. However, if X-Windows were GPLed, then the
                      > people who made Exceed and wanted to sell it, would not have made it in the
                      > first place, because they had to make it GPLed. So either they would have
                      > implemented it from scratch or not at all. It is possible that a different
                      > group would have created a free X server for Windows, but it is possible
                      > that no free X server would have been available at all. And if a different
                      > group could have created a free X server for Windows without Exceed, they
                      > could have certainly created it with it.

                      Now that I think of it, I have another vital thought experiment to add to
                      this. If X11 had been initiated under a non-BSD-style-licence, then it is
                      possible it would not have become as ubiquitous as it is in the UNIX world,
                      thus making it irrelevant to port it to Windows in the first place. We can't
                      tell that for sure, but I think it is a possibility.

                      Regards,

                      Shlomi Fish (who is now trying to prepare a coherent document out of this
                      thread).

                      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                      Original Riddles - http://www.shlomifish.org/puzzles/

                      <mauke> I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
                      achieve?
                      <PerlJam> mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
                      the last thing standing in my way! ;)
                    • Amit Aronovitch
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 10, 2009
                        On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                        On Friday 07 November 2008, Amit Aronovitch wrote:
                        > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                        > > Now. The first thing I'll mention is that it is not entirely agreed upon
                        > > which
                        > > licences are free/open-source and which are not:
                        > >
                        > > The original Artistic Licence (authored by Larry Wall for dual-licensing
                        > > perl)
                        > > is:
                        > >
                        > > * considered non-free (and non-GPL-compatible) by the FSF
                        > >
                        > > * considered free by Debian.
                        > >
                        > > * considered non-free by RedHat.
                        > >
                        > > * considered free by Mandriva.
                        > >
                        > > * considered open-source by the OSI -
                        > > http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0.php
                        > >
                        > > * was considered a contract in a certain judgement:
                        > >
                        > > http://lwn.net/Articles/246695/
                        > >
                        > > (Who are you going to believe?)
                        >
                        > Possibly all. The reason is that "freeness" is not a boolean parameter. Not
                        > even a single parameter real-valued scale. There are multiple criteria,
                        > possibly contradicting each other. Much like human rights...
                        > It is much more practical to talk about specific definitions, such as
                        > OSI-free/DFSG-free/FSF-free etc.
                        > As your examples clearly demonstrate, these do not comply to a total
                        > ordering (in the mathematical sense:
                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_order ).
                        >
                        > You should decide how you *want* your work to be distributed and choose the
                        > license accordingly (effectively decide which criteria should take
                        > priority). CC has a nice mechanism for it.

                        Well, generally speaking one should strive for endorsement as free (and
                        preferably GPL-compatibility) by everybody. Otherwise, you may be facing
                        problems.

                        In this case, your recommendations are also not free enough. Only license that would work is something like:
                        "You can do with this work whatever you like, even claim that you did it all by yourself, no need to mention me. However, you still have the right to sue me if it does not work".
                        The reason you don't find any license like that is because authors normally want to assure at least some of their own rights, and that comes at the expense of the "freedoms" of the end users. The question is how you prioritize these freedoms.

                        You actually want "endorsement as free" not really by *everybody*, just by a specific list of organizations which you consider relevant for your beliefs and for the projects you work on.

                        As for CC, the standard CC licences
                        (CC-by/CC-by-sa/CC-by-nc-sa/CC-by-nd/etc.) are not suitable for software due
                        to their attribution clause:

                        http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

                        In fact, the Creative Commons does not let you choose "software" as the type
                        of artwork, when filling their form.

                        I'm not sure what you mean, but it seems that the discussion in your link is irrelevant. It speaks about the specific case of attribution in "advertising materials" (you can't make effective ads if they must include 100 attributions).
                        The CC attribution clause says only that you must attribute "in the manner specified by the author" - this in itself places no restriction, all depends on what the author explicitly requires.

                        > > The Creative Commons Attribution (CC-by) and Attribution-ShareAlike
                        > > Licences
                        > > (CC-by-sa) are considered free (but not GPL-compatible) by the FSF (see
                        > > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#OtherLicenses ), while
                        > > the Debian legal team concluded that they were not free.[1]
                        >
                        > Notes:
                        > (1) Version 3.0 CC licenses *are* considered DFSG-free.

                        I see. That's god.

                        Hmm... I though you were an atheist ;-)

                               AA

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 3, 2009
                          On Saturday 10 January 2009 21:27:50 Amit Aronovitch wrote:
                          > On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > upon

                          > > dual-licensing

                          > > > Possibly all. The reason is that "freeness" is not a boolean parameter.
                          > >
                          > > Not
                          > >
                          > > > even a single parameter real-valued scale. There are multiple criteria,
                          > > > possibly contradicting each other. Much like human rights...
                          > > > It is much more practical to talk about specific definitions, such as
                          > > > OSI-free/DFSG-free/FSF-free etc.
                          > > > As your examples clearly demonstrate, these do not comply to a total
                          > > > ordering (in the mathematical sense:
                          > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_order ).
                          > > >
                          > > > You should decide how you *want* your work to be distributed and choose
                          > >
                          > > the
                          > >
                          > > > license accordingly (effectively decide which criteria should take
                          > > > priority). CC has a nice mechanism for it.
                          > >
                          > > Well, generally speaking one should strive for endorsement as free (and
                          > > preferably GPL-compatibility) by everybody. Otherwise, you may be facing
                          > > problems.
                          >
                          > In this case, your recommendations are also not free enough. Only license
                          > that would work is something like:
                          > "You can do with this work whatever you like, even claim that you did it
                          > all by yourself, no need to mention me. However, you still have the right
                          > to sue me if it does not work".

                          This seems a bit contradictory. And who would be happy with such a licence and
                          not with, say, the X11L?

                          > The reason you don't find any license like that is because authors normally
                          > want to assure at least some of their own rights, and that comes at the
                          > expense of the "freedoms" of the end users. The question is how you
                          > prioritize these freedoms.

                          I see.

                          > You actually want "endorsement as free" not really by *everybody*, just by
                          > a specific list of organizations which you consider relevant for your
                          > beliefs and for the projects you work on.

                          Well, I have yet to hear of an organisation that doesn't consider the X11L as
                          a usable licence. But who knows?

                          > As for CC, the standard CC licences
                          >
                          > > (CC-by/CC-by-sa/CC-by-nc-sa/CC-by-nd/etc.) are not suitable for software
                          > > due
                          > > to their attribution clause:
                          > >
                          > > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
                          > >
                          > > In fact, the Creative Commons does not let you choose "software" as the
                          > > type
                          > > of artwork, when filling their form.
                          >
                          > I'm not sure what you mean, but it seems that the discussion in your link
                          > is irrelevant. It speaks about the specific case of attribution in
                          > "advertising materials" (you can't make effective ads if they must include
                          > 100
                          > attributions).

                          I see.

                          > The CC attribution clause says only that you must attribute "in the manner
                          > specified by the author" - this in itself places no restriction, all
                          > depends on what the author explicitly requires.

                          Hmmm... interesting. In any case, the FSF does not consider CC-by and CC-by-sa
                          as GPL-compatible. And I'm not sure the CC attribution clause (while taking
                          into consideration its difference from the original BSDL advertising clause)
                          is GPL-compatible. And the Creative Commons still recommends using one of the
                          more standard (and older) software licences for licensing programs rather than
                          one of the CC licences.

                          Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                          "Humanity" - Parody of Modern Life - http://xrl.us/bkeut