Re: [hackers-il] Why there will always be programmers

  • Ori Idan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008

      On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      >rs/ Summary:
      > Programmers are always needed, because big programs have lots of
      > details, and somebody has to manage those details.
      >
      > Now, quick!  What are your tips and tricks for managing the details of
      > your projects?

      Well, I never initiated large-scale projects on my own, just contributed to
      large-scale ( > 100K LOCs) projects that other people initiated.

      Well, first of all I make sure the projects are adequately modular and
      componentised. Each module, class, function etc. should do something and
      something well. This makes it easy to find.

      Meaningful and conventional variable names also help a lot to find offending
      code.

      Then I use tools like grep, http://petdance.com/ack/ , ctags, etc. to find
      what I want. These are especially useful with gvim's quickfix mode.

      I personally don't write too much external documentation, except for
      perlpod/etc. API-documentation for the user. I also prefer to factor out code
      with meaningful names for the extracted functions than to comment bad code.
      From my experience, external documentation tends to get out-of-sync with the
      code itself and so is not such a good idea. Your code should be
      self-documenting.

      I certainly agree that code should be self documenting as much as possible.
      Sometimes even in line documentation in the form of comments, tends to stay out of date. I have seen case when during debugging of some software, some functions where changed but the comments stayed the same.

      --
      Ori Idan

      What Makes Software Apps High Quality -  http://xrl.us/bkeuk

      fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam