Re: [hackers-il] Israeli registrars (was: hackers.org.il)

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2008
      On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Eli Billauer <eli@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > This may be the opportunity to discuss a related issue: Are there are any
      > impressions from the new Israeli registrars?

      I've moved a couple of domains (python.org.il included) to LiveDNS.

      Their interface looks like it was designed by a newbie, and it's using
      ASP (GASP!) but on the other hand it works in Firefox quite well.
      Especially after I ad-blocked all the flash on their site.

      The transfers work well, I got a confirmation email from them minutes
      after I got the ISOC confirmation email. They also tell you exactly
      what to do to make the transfer work, including a link to the ISOC
      form.

      I emailed support about the name I want on the receipt and they
      replied usually within a day. Not the quickest but reasonable.

      I didn't experience any of the other registrars. No newsletter. I'm
      not sure if I opted out of it or did anything special (I automatically
      opt out of anything when I sign up for accounts).

      I don't work for or otherwise affiliated with any Israeli registrar.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
        Answering to myself...

        On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Arik Baratz <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > 1. As for hackers.org.il, I would like to let someone in Israel handle
        > the renew, possibly also take over the domain too. It includes
        > transferring it from ISOC to another registrar. I'll keep it and do it
        > myself if there are no takers, it will stay up, but living abroad
        > doesn't make dealing with ISOC easy, what with the annoying fax
        > business and the phone calls etc.

        Since there are no takers, and since the domain is in use, I will
        renew it myself unless someone contacts me by mid-December and takes
        over.

        > 2. As for hacker.org.il, it is pretty much unused now. I'm willing to
        > hand it over to the highest bidder... or the person who asks the
        > nicest... nah, I'm not asking for monetary compensation so I want to
        > know it's in good hands :-)

        If no one wants it, I will let it expire. When I do, some of those
        nasty old domain reclaimer companies are probably going to get it. If
        you're interested, you have a better act now.