Israeli registrars (was: hackers.org.il)

  • Eli Billauer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2008

      Hello,

      This may be the opportunity to discuss a related issue: Are there are any impressions from the new Israeli registrars?

      Personally, I moved my domain to Galcomm, and I can't say I'm very happy with them. To begin with, the transfer itself wasn't reassuring (I don't remember exactly why, but I didn't get the feeling that the domain had landed somewhere).

      But what really annoyed me is that they started sending me newsletters. Even though they are rare, I really didn't expect to get any unrelated email from my registrar, such as the recent "Galcomm.com Special Offer" for some domain class I have no interest in.

      Other experiences out there?

          Eli

      Arik Baratz wrote:

      1. As for hackers.org. il, I would like to let someone in Israel handle
      the renew, possibly also take over the domain too. It includes
      transferring it from ISOC to another registrar. I'll keep it and do it
      myself if there are no takers, it will stay up, but living abroad
      doesn't make dealing with ISOC easy, what with the annoying fax
      business and the phone calls etc.

      .

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2008
        On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Eli Billauer <eli@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > This may be the opportunity to discuss a related issue: Are there are any
        > impressions from the new Israeli registrars?

        I've moved a couple of domains (python.org.il included) to LiveDNS.

        Their interface looks like it was designed by a newbie, and it's using
        ASP (GASP!) but on the other hand it works in Firefox quite well.
        Especially after I ad-blocked all the flash on their site.

        The transfers work well, I got a confirmation email from them minutes
        after I got the ISOC confirmation email. They also tell you exactly
        what to do to make the transfer work, including a link to the ISOC
        form.

        I emailed support about the name I want on the receipt and they
        replied usually within a day. Not the quickest but reasonable.

        I didn't experience any of the other registrars. No newsletter. I'm
        not sure if I opted out of it or did anything special (I automatically
        opt out of anything when I sign up for accounts).

        I don't work for or otherwise affiliated with any Israeli registrar.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
          Answering to myself...

          On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Arik Baratz <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > 1. As for hackers.org.il, I would like to let someone in Israel handle
          > the renew, possibly also take over the domain too. It includes
          > transferring it from ISOC to another registrar. I'll keep it and do it
          > myself if there are no takers, it will stay up, but living abroad
          > doesn't make dealing with ISOC easy, what with the annoying fax
          > business and the phone calls etc.

          Since there are no takers, and since the domain is in use, I will
          renew it myself unless someone contacts me by mid-December and takes
          over.

          > 2. As for hacker.org.il, it is pretty much unused now. I'm willing to
          > hand it over to the highest bidder... or the person who asks the
          > nicest... nah, I'm not asking for monetary compensation so I want to
          > know it's in good hands :-)

          If no one wants it, I will let it expire. When I do, some of those
          nasty old domain reclaimer companies are probably going to get it. If
          you're interested, you have a better act now.