Re: [hackers-il] Spotted on Freshmeat: Squirrel Shell

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2008
      Hi Ori!

      Please separate paragraphs with an empty line, and avoid top-posting.

      On Sunday 12 October 2008, Ori Idan wrote:
      > Didn't you forget the standard open source sentence "Release early release
      > often"?

      "Release early, release often" does not mean "Release crap" or don't do
      design, or do the minimal amount of thinking and UI design. Furthermore, the
      version of squirrelsh that I tested was 1.2.2. Considering that open-source
      programs should start with 0.2.x, etc. it means that it is already considered
      stable and ready-for-prime-time. But it isn't ready-for-prime-time.

      > It is probably a very early release and you should have wrote this to the
      > developers (without your last paragraph about them not understanding
      > software quality.

      It's not a very early release. And even in early releases, I expect to have
      documentation in a usable format, or a usable syntax or realine-integration.

      > Also regarding the English errors in the manual, you should have pointed
      > them to the errors or maybe fixing them and sending the fixed manual.

      Why should I, given that squirrelsh is as unusable as it is? I've got better
      objectives to spend my time on. Meanwhile, I'm happy with bash, and there's
      also zsh, or possibly fish. I don't need to work on squirrelsh, which has
      made such a bad impression on me.

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      What does "Zionism" mean? - http://xrl.us/bjn8u

      fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2008
        On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

        > Why should I, given that squirrelsh is as unusable as it is? I've got better
        > objectives to spend my time on. Meanwhile, I'm happy with bash, and there's
        > also zsh, or possibly fish. I don't need to work on squirrelsh, which has
        > made such a bad impression on me.

        My guess: It's A niche product.

        Don't use it, Shlomi - it's not for you. I'm surprised you even wasted
        your time on it, since you're evidently not a part of its niche.