Spotted on Freshmeat: Squirrel Shell

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2008
      Hi all!

      I recently spotted a new shell called Squirrel Shell on Freshmeat.net:

      http://squirrelsh.sourceforge.net/

      Here is my impression from it:

      1. Doing the ./configure --prefix ; make ; make install dance caused the "make
      install" stage to fail with weird installation errors. Borrowing from the
      debian/ directory there, I added --with-mime=no which
      disabled ./configure-mime (which can only handle absolute system pathnames)
      from running and as a result, it was sucessful.

      2. Here's what happened in my first run of squirrelsh:

      {{{{{{
      $ ~/apps/squirrelsh/bin/squirrelsh
      > ls
      ERROR: the index 'ls' does not exist
      > help
      ERROR: the index 'help' does not exist
      ERROR: the index 'h' does not exist
      > man ls
      SQUIRREL ERROR: Line 1, Col 6: end of statement expected (; or lf)
      > run("ls")
      apps Backup Choices Desktop Download Music TEMP Videos
      Arcs bin conf Docs dwhelper progs tmp
      > help()
      ERROR: the index 'help' does not exist

      }}}}}}

      In short - not very usable. Plus, the prompts do not support readline-like
      editing.

      3. The man page ( nroff -man ~/apps/squirrelsh/share/man/man1/squirrelsh.1 |
      less -isrr ) is very short, and just refers one to the two .pdf's in the
      install directory (indicated by a "<b>install_dir</b>" string in the output -
      the full path is not given), which naturally, I had little patience to read.

      4. The homepage gives several examples:

      http://squirrelsh.sourceforge.net/

      Whereas in bash running "ls" is simply q{ls}, in squirrelsh it is
      q{run("ls")}, but it gets better:

      {{{{
      #!/usr/bin/squirrelsh
      // Work with command line parameters
      run("foo", [ __argv[1], __argv[2] ]);
      }}}}

      Which is the equivalent for "foo $1 $2" in bash.

      The example for matrix multiplication is shorter in squirrelsh, but it is a
      bit contrived, given that I'd use Perl or whatever for anything of that
      complexity.

      5. There are many English errors in the documentation:

      * "It is based on Squirrel scripting language which has these features: "

      * "Cross-platform nature of Squirrel Shell lets users write one script and use
      it everywhere"

      * "Actual location of the files depends on installation method."

      * "It is based on powerful general-purpose scripting language "Squirrel".

      -----------------

      In short, I was heavily disappointed from squirrelsh. It doesn't look like a
      usable shell. Seems like more developers who don't understand software
      quality enough:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/high-quality-software/

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      Stop Using MSIE - http://www.shlomifish.org/no-ie/

      fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
    • Ori Idan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2008
        Didn't you forget the standard open source sentence "Release early release often"?
        It is probably a very early release and you should have wrote this to the developers (without your last paragraph about them not understanding software quality.
        Also regarding the English errors in the manual, you should have pointed them to the errors or maybe fixing them and sending the fixed manual.

        --
        Ori Idan

        ספרים וסיפורים שכתבתי: http://www.thestories.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2008
          Hi Ori!

          Please separate paragraphs with an empty line, and avoid top-posting.

          On Sunday 12 October 2008, Ori Idan wrote:
          > Didn't you forget the standard open source sentence "Release early release
          > often"?

          "Release early, release often" does not mean "Release crap" or don't do
          design, or do the minimal amount of thinking and UI design. Furthermore, the
          version of squirrelsh that I tested was 1.2.2. Considering that open-source
          programs should start with 0.2.x, etc. it means that it is already considered
          stable and ready-for-prime-time. But it isn't ready-for-prime-time.

          > It is probably a very early release and you should have wrote this to the
          > developers (without your last paragraph about them not understanding
          > software quality.

          It's not a very early release. And even in early releases, I expect to have
          documentation in a usable format, or a usable syntax or realine-integration.

          > Also regarding the English errors in the manual, you should have pointed
          > them to the errors or maybe fixing them and sending the fixed manual.

          Why should I, given that squirrelsh is as unusable as it is? I've got better
          objectives to spend my time on. Meanwhile, I'm happy with bash, and there's
          also zsh, or possibly fish. I don't need to work on squirrelsh, which has
          made such a bad impression on me.

          Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
          What does "Zionism" mean? - http://xrl.us/bjn8u

          fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2008
            On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

            > Why should I, given that squirrelsh is as unusable as it is? I've got better
            > objectives to spend my time on. Meanwhile, I'm happy with bash, and there's
            > also zsh, or possibly fish. I don't need to work on squirrelsh, which has
            > made such a bad impression on me.

            My guess: It's A niche product.

            Don't use it, Shlomi - it's not for you. I'm surprised you even wasted
            your time on it, since you're evidently not a part of its niche.