English Speakers in Israel According to the Wikipedia

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
      Hi all!

      According to:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

      Israel has a total of 100,000 English speakers. That makes little sense to me
      as:

      1. Israeli pupils receive at least 8 years of English education before
      university.

      2. Most Israelis I know (or heard of) have a working knowledge of English.
      Even cab drivers and kiosk salesmen tend to have usable English.

      3. Israel is famous for the good knowledge of English of its inhabitants.

      4. There are more University graduates who have acquired English in their
      studies than that.

      ----------

      Looking at the chart it seems this number is equal to the number of *native*
      English speakers and there is no number for speakers as an additional
      language. So this is misleading.

      Does anyone have any idea about how to correct this?

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      Understand what Open Source is - http://xrl.us/bjn82

      fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam
    • Ori Idan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
        The question is how do we define English speaker.
        If English speaker is defined as someone whose main language is English, maybe Wikipedia is right, although I also find it strange that the number is so low.

        --
        Ori Idan

        ספרים וסיפורים שכתבתי: http://www.thestories.org
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
          On Monday 15 September 2008, Ori Idan wrote:
          > The question is how do we define English speaker.
          > If English speaker is defined as someone whose main language is English,
          > maybe Wikipedia is right, although I also find it strange that the number
          > is so low.

          No, it's not. Reading from the first paragraph:

          {{{{{{{
          This is a list of countries of the world sorted by the total English-speaking
          population in that country. This includes both native speakers and second
          language speakers of English. Statistics on second language speakers are
          usually imprecise, in part because there is no widely agreed definition of
          second language speakers, so these figures should be treated with caution.
          }}}}}}}

          And the table has several columns:

          * Total English Speakers

          * As First Language

          * As an Additional Language

          So it doesn't matter what is the language you use the most everyday, as long
          as you know English - you're counted in. So Wikipedia is wrong in the figures
          for Israel.

          My Aphorisms - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
            It really seems to be wrong.
            The question is can we find a figure that seems more logical so we can edit it?

            --
            Ori Idan

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               mailto:hackers-il-digest@yahoogroups.com
               mailto:hackers-il-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            ספרים וסיפורים שכתבתי: http://www.thestories.org
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2008
              On Mon, Sep 15, 2008, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] English Speakers in Israel According to the Wikipedia":
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population
              > Israel has a total of 100,000 English speakers. That makes little sense to me
              > as:
              >..
              > Looking at the chart it seems this number is equal to the number of *native*
              > English speakers and there is no number for speakers as an additional
              > language. So this is misleading.

              The heading paragraph clearly says that this number should "include both
              native speakers and second language speakers of English.". So the figure
              "100,000" for Israel is simply wrong, and needs to be fixed: Israel needs
              to have its "As an additional language" figure filled in, and then this figure
              needs to be added to the "Total English Speakers" figure.

              So, be bold, look for a source, and update this page!

              Of course, there's always the question of what does being a "speaker of
              English" (even as second language) mean. There's a huge variance in the
              Israeli public, from people with almost native English, to people who can
              even translate "aftershave" to English ;-) Even if all of them studied 8
              years of English at school.

              --
              Nadav Har'El | Monday, Sep 22 2008, 22 Elul 5768
              Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Cat rule #2: Bite the hand that won't