Re: Suggestion for discussion

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 4:00 AM
      On Wednesday 30 July 2008, Tal Abir wrote:
      > Hi,
      > Is anyone interested in discussion on Design Pattern implementation in C++?

      Just as a note, here are some of my original sentiments regarding the
      original "Design Patterns" book:

      What I'm saying there is:

      {{{{{{{{{{{{{
      So, with great expectation I bought the CD-ROM version of the book, which
      contained the book in HTML format. That, and the fact that it occupied
      only a few tens of megabytes made reading the book a very good
      experience convenience-wise. However, right now I have an ambivalent
      feeling toward the book. AFAICT, a large part of the book was dedicated to
      try to convince me that it was actually possible to do OOP in C++[1],
      rather than to explain why the patterns were useful.

      I believe I would have enjoyed it more, had it used Perl or Python or
      some other OO dynamically-typed langauge as the language for its
      code. But, with C++, I'm having difficulty separating between patterns
      that are actually useful to patterns that help overcome C++
      idiosyncrecies.
      }}}}}}}}}}}}}

      I should note Paul Graham mentions here - http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html
      that :

      Peter Norvig found that 16 of the 23 patterns in Design Patterns
      were "invisible or simpler" in Lisp.

      (linking to http://www.norvig.com/design-patterns/ )

      There's also more in the thread.

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      "The Human Hacking Field Guide" - http://xrl.us/bjn8q

      I met a guy in the bar, talked to her and she gave me her phone number.