New Hack: Unix Fortunes as XML

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2008
      Hi all!

      I originally outlined a grand-unified vision for a quotes sharing site here:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ideas/fortunes-mania/

      This is a very nice vision, but also something that I found very intimidating
      to implement. So I didn't. :-)

      Instead, what I did was continue to add text fortunes to the collection of my
      fortune cookies:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/

      Now, as I noted, one problem in this scheme, was that to refer someone to a
      certain fortune, I needed to give him the link to the plain text file and
      then say "search for Perl". Not good. And it was still a plaintext file that
      wasn't linked to the rest of the site.

      Now, anvari.org has put some fortunes (including mine) on
      http://www.anvari.org/fortune/ . He used an SQL database to store them as
      plaintext, and link to them. However, he doesn't have id's and the links are
      the first sentence.

      So I decided to:

      1. Create an XML grammar for storing fortunes (with some extra meta-data like
      an ID, a title, etc.)

      2. Convert the fortunes to this XML.

      3. XMLise them a bit.

      4. Publish them on my site as XHTML after using an XSLT stylesheet to convert
      them.

      So I started defining a very basic grammar, a rudimentary XSLT stylesheet and
      wrote a Perl script to convert them, and then added id="", title="", and more
      information.

      You can see the results in pages such as:

      * http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/shlomif-fav.html

      * http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/tinic.html

      And there are also the XMLs such as:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/shlomif-fav.xml

      (I didn't define an XSLT or CSS stylesheet for the XMLs for the time being,
      though it shouldn't be hard.)

      The XML grammar is still very limited - it only supports <irc> fortunes (for
      IRC conversation logs) or <raw> fortunes (for a gigantic <pre>). But it's a
      start - Rome wasn't built in a day, and Linux reportedly started as a
      non-glorified 386-only terminal emulator.

      You can find the code for the stylesheets here:

      http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/web-cpan/XML-Grammar-Fortune/trunk/

      Note that at the moment, it segfaults on perl-5.10.0, due to this bug which I
      reported:

      Plans for the future include:

      1. Define more types of fortunes - quotes, screenplays, etc.

      2. Convert my existing fortunes to them.

      3. Create a bridge to RSS/Atom to syndicate the new fortunes as news.

      4. Add more meta-data for the fortunes.

      5. Write a Perl module to translate the fortunes back to text. (Not sure if
      XSLT is up to the task.)

      In the future, this might end up as a more serious attempt to create a
      (structured - not free form), open, sharing and syndication site for quotes.

      Comments are welcome.

      Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      My Aphorisms - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

      The bad thing about hardware is that it sometimes work and sometimes doesn't.
      The good thing about software is that it's consistent: it always does not
      work, and it always does not work in exactly the same way.