Re: [hackers-il] The Pal-Kal effect in software

  • Uri
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      On 4/1/08, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      > Regarding "victims of Pal-Kal" you may wish to consult this:
      >
      > http://shlomif.livejournal.com/37841.html

      My father works in the construction business and knows Eli Ron
      (founder of "Fall-Kal" a.k.a. Easy-Fall). Actually I think more
      Pal-Kal buildings fell before the wedding tragedy, and my father knew
      Eli Ron as an engineer who's buildings fall even before the famous
      tragedy. The issue is SECURITY. My father told me you can build good
      buildings with Pal-Kal, but you have to keep strict rules which most
      constructors don't, and then the ceiling becomes dangerous and easy to
      fall (Easy-Fall ceiling a.k.a. "Fall-Kal"). I understand the court
      convicted Eli Ron for being personally responsible for building
      dangerous buildings (or ceilings) who fall. It doesn't mean that
      EVERY Pal-Kal ceiling will fall.

      The Pal-Kal effect exists also in software. When companies compete in
      time-to-market, nobody cares about code documenting, bug-free code
      etc. and the results are known to all of us as BLUE SCREENS. (I
      probably don't have to explain to you what a blue screen is). It is
      possible to write software which doesn't collapse - or at least with
      much less chances to collapse often. But then you have to invest much
      more time coding (read what I wrote yesterday). It's much easier and
      cheaper to write the code as fast as you can, with all the features,
      maybe outsourcing or maybe insourcing - and then check the software to
      see if it works, fix any visual bug and sell it to your customers.
      Security costs money - both in construction, software and also in
      building cars, trains and roads. Many people want to buy cheap and
      save the cost of security. That's why many airplanes fall in Africa -
      they buy old airplanes and don't spend too much money to fix them.

      Anyway, I think not only MS-Windows but ANY closed source software may
      be similar to Pal-Kal. I wouldn't risk my life on it working. But if
      I use a PC and it stops working - I will survive. Actually my PC at
      home isn't working for at least two months - I use a public PC.
      People want to buy cheap - even public institutions who use public
      money buy cheap software from MS instead of investing (a little more)
      in open source software. If they invested in open source software,
      the whole public would benefit in the long term. But they don't care
      about the long term - they want cheap software now and working. In
      the long term they are committing suicide - they are poisoning the
      water they drink from.

      Anyway, I stopped working in the company I started working on Sunday.
      I decided it's not a suitable job for me. I just can't lie to myself
      and do bad job just because my boss wants me to. And also my former
      boss wanted me to do the bad job much more quickly. I can do a good
      job, but it takes time. This company doesn't have time. They want
      the website now and working. It's like building with Pal-Kal - we
      don't care how secure it is, as long as you build it quickly (and most
      important - cheaply). By the way, most of the Pal-Kal ceilings have
      been tested for security after the famous tragedy, and that's one of
      the reasons they don't fall. Even if columns were removed from that
      famous graveyard (oops - former wedding hall) it still doesn't mean
      that building with Pal-Kal is safe.

      By the way, I use Gmail's automatic spelling checker before I actually
      send the mail. Since I have automatic spelling checker, I spend less
      time in manually checking what I write. If I didn't have an automatic
      spelling checker, I would spend more time checking manually. It's the
      same with software. I believe preventing bugs manually during coding
      is the best way to prevent bugs in the future. Unfortunately, most
      people and companies tend to rely on bug checking only AFTER the code
      is written, not DURING the coding. I believe at least most of the
      bugs in software can be prevented if coding is done right. When you
      drive on the right side you usually have less accidents than when you
      just drive as fast as you can without caring which side of the road
      you are... Of course the right side depends on where you are. In
      some countries the right side to drive is not the same side as here.

      Uri Even-Chen
      Mobile Phone: +972-50-9007559
      E-mail: uri@...
      My website: http://www.speedy.net/uri/