Re: [hackers-il] Big software development projects going sour in Israel?

  • Udi Oron
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hi Omer!

      Omer Zak wrote:
      > Once in a while I read about some project or other, usually in USA or
      > Great Britain, which incurs big delays and/or huge overruns along with
      > under-delivery of promised functionality. All this - after sinking tens
      > or hundreds of millions of US$ or GB Pounds.
      > I don't remember reading about such failed projects in Israel.

      You might find this interesting:
      http://www.themarkerit.com/article/844

      Udi
    • shmoocon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
        --- In hackers-il@yahoogroups.com, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:

        > Once in a while I read about some project or other, usually in USA or
        > Great Britain, which incurs big delays and/or huge overruns along with
        > under-delivery of promised functionality.

        There haven't ever been any big software development projects in
        Israel because Israel is a consumer nation that doesn't produce
        anything. The only jobs in Israel are cheap labour for foreign firms.
        Can you think of a computer that was invented in Israel or a
        programming language, or anything at all? Israel is not a high-tech
        country it's a high-tech sweatshop nation like India only India have
        got better jobs and working conditions...

        Have a look at the big project at Israel Discount Bank. It's the most
        bloated overrun I've ever heard of, in any civilised country everyone
        would be in prison by now. The bank spent hundreds of millions of
        dollars of their investors money on nothing. Virtually everything was
        written by bank contractors and employees and it's been going on for
        almost 10 years. The agreement is all of the programmes and
        documentation the bank pays for GOES BACK TO THE FIRM THEY HIRED TO DO
        THE WORK! Meanwhile the firm they hired actually delivered only a tiny
        percentage of actual code. It's a ripoff on a grand scale. They put
        foreign managers in place to run up the budgets, charging for every
        changed item while the idiot Israelis happily write the same programs
        again and again without ever finishing anything. All of the people who
        failed to do the work first time round are still on the payroll. If
        IBM Israel couldn't get the job done then why are they still on the
        job on the second or third go?

        All of the money went to foreign firms and Israeli IT companies and
        they've produced nothing but delays and more delays. At the end of the
        day it will be a great load of rubbish needing overhaul in short time.

        At least in the U.K. and U.S. they actually do their own work whilst
        in Israel they prefer to hire foreigners and piss away other peoples
        money. Why haven't Israeli contractors been paid to do the job?

        Shlomi in Canada
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
          On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 10:07 +0300, Udi Oron wrote:
          > Hi Omer!
          >
          > Omer Zak wrote:
          > > Once in a while I read about some project or other, usually in USA or
          > > Great Britain, which incurs big delays and/or huge overruns along with
          > > under-delivery of promised functionality. All this - after sinking tens
          > > or hundreds of millions of US$ or GB Pounds.
          > > I don't remember reading about such failed projects in Israel.
          >
          > You might find this interesting:
          > http://www.themarkerit.com/article/844

          Thanks.
          Synopsis for the lazy: this is a news item about a failed IT project
          which Ness was to deliver to Harel, the insurance company. Harel wanted
          about 100 million NIS as compensation.

          Since the article is dated from 19.8.2007, does anyone have more recent
          information about this?
          MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

        • Uri
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
            On 3/31/08, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:
            > MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

            I prefer my computer to collapse than my ceiling! People don't
            usually die when their personal computer collapses....

            May all victims of PalKal rest in peace....

            - Uri
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
              On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Uri wrote:
              > On 3/31/08, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:
              > > MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.
              >
              > I prefer my computer to collapse than my ceiling! People don't
              > usually die when their personal computer collapses....
              >
              > May all victims of PalKal rest in peace....

              Regarding "victims of Pal-Kal" you may wish to consult this:

              http://shlomif.livejournal.com/37841.html