Big software development projects going sour in Israel?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2008
      Once in a while I read about some project or other, usually in USA or
      Great Britain, which incurs big delays and/or huge overruns along with
      under-delivery of promised functionality. All this - after sinking tens
      or hundreds of millions of US$ or GB Pounds.

      I don't remember reading about such failed projects in Israel.

      Are the Israeli government and municipalities somehow immune of such
      colossal project failures, thanks to the MENAHEL methodology (or another
      reason)? If not, are those failures successfully swept under the rug
      and kept secret? Or is Israel simply small enough for such projects to
      be small enough to be kept under control?

      One does not make peace with enemies. One makes peace with former
      enemies.

    • Udi Oron
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
        Hi Omer!

        Omer Zak wrote:
        > Once in a while I read about some project or other, usually in USA or
        > Great Britain, which incurs big delays and/or huge overruns along with
        > under-delivery of promised functionality. All this - after sinking tens
        > or hundreds of millions of US$ or GB Pounds.
        > I don't remember reading about such failed projects in Israel.

        You might find this interesting:
        http://www.themarkerit.com/article/844

        Udi
      • shmoocon
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
          --- In hackers-il@yahoogroups.com, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:

          > Once in a while I read about some project or other, usually in USA or
          > Great Britain, which incurs big delays and/or huge overruns along with
          > under-delivery of promised functionality.

          There haven't ever been any big software development projects in
          Israel because Israel is a consumer nation that doesn't produce
          anything. The only jobs in Israel are cheap labour for foreign firms.
          Can you think of a computer that was invented in Israel or a
          programming language, or anything at all? Israel is not a high-tech
          country it's a high-tech sweatshop nation like India only India have
          got better jobs and working conditions...

          Have a look at the big project at Israel Discount Bank. It's the most
          bloated overrun I've ever heard of, in any civilised country everyone
          would be in prison by now. The bank spent hundreds of millions of
          dollars of their investors money on nothing. Virtually everything was
          written by bank contractors and employees and it's been going on for
          almost 10 years. The agreement is all of the programmes and
          documentation the bank pays for GOES BACK TO THE FIRM THEY HIRED TO DO
          THE WORK! Meanwhile the firm they hired actually delivered only a tiny
          percentage of actual code. It's a ripoff on a grand scale. They put
          foreign managers in place to run up the budgets, charging for every
          changed item while the idiot Israelis happily write the same programs
          again and again without ever finishing anything. All of the people who
          failed to do the work first time round are still on the payroll. If
          IBM Israel couldn't get the job done then why are they still on the
          job on the second or third go?

          All of the money went to foreign firms and Israeli IT companies and
          they've produced nothing but delays and more delays. At the end of the
          day it will be a great load of rubbish needing overhaul in short time.

          At least in the U.K. and U.S. they actually do their own work whilst
          in Israel they prefer to hire foreigners and piss away other peoples
          money. Why haven't Israeli contractors been paid to do the job?

          Shlomi in Canada
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
            On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 10:07 +0300, Udi Oron wrote:
            > Hi Omer!
            >
            > Omer Zak wrote:
            > > Once in a while I read about some project or other, usually in USA or
            > > Great Britain, which incurs big delays and/or huge overruns along with
            > > under-delivery of promised functionality. All this - after sinking tens
            > > or hundreds of millions of US$ or GB Pounds.
            > > I don't remember reading about such failed projects in Israel.
            >
            > You might find this interesting:
            > http://www.themarkerit.com/article/844

            Thanks.
            Synopsis for the lazy: this is a news item about a failed IT project
            which Ness was to deliver to Harel, the insurance company. Harel wanted
            about 100 million NIS as compensation.

            Since the article is dated from 19.8.2007, does anyone have more recent
            information about this?
            MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

          • Uri
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
              On 3/31/08, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:
              > MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

              I prefer my computer to collapse than my ceiling! People don't
              usually die when their personal computer collapses....

              May all victims of PalKal rest in peace....

              - Uri
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
                On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Uri wrote:
                > On 3/31/08, Omer Zak <w1@...> wrote:
                > > MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.
                >
                > I prefer my computer to collapse than my ceiling! People don't
                > usually die when their personal computer collapses....
                >
                > May all victims of PalKal rest in peace....

                Regarding "victims of Pal-Kal" you may wish to consult this:

                http://shlomif.livejournal.com/37841.html