The Unicode Problem (was: [Israel.pm] First Pre-Release of Arc)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2008
      I am replying only to Hackers-IL.

      The big bummer (noticed by several other people as well) is the apparent
      intention to support only ASCII.

      One of the bloggers suggested that it would have been better if Paul
      Graham announced that he supports only octets, and let users build
      Unicode libraries over the language.

      I think that such languages would benefit from support for two Unicode
      string representations:
      1. utf-8 - strings built of octets, and each glyph occupies variable
      number of octets.
      2. ucs-32 (with option to change to ucs-40, ucs-48, etc. in the future)
      - strings of glyphs, such that each glyph consists of a fixed number of
      octets. The basic language design needs to provide for an easy way to
      enlarge the number of octets per glyph in the future.

      Anything which I overlooked?

      --- Omer

      --
      One does not make peace with enemies. One makes peace with former
      enemies.