First Pre-Release of Arc

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      Apparently Paul Graham and Co. released the first version of Arc, their new
      dialect of Lisp:

      * http://www.paulgraham.com/arc0.html
      * http://arclanguage.org/
      * http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2643

      Here are some links to patches from the #arc topic:

      <<<<<<<<
      Topic for #arc is arc support and hangout : http://www.arclanguage.org/ |
      http://paulgraham.com/arc0.html | Improve your arc REPL - use rlwrap -
      or 'require' readline.ss in .mzschemerc | on windows use -d
      mzscheme.exe -m -d arc0\as.scm | patch for newer mzschemes
      http://www.arclanguage.org/item?id=148 | patch to fix date on linux
      http://blakeley.com/linux-date.patch

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2008
        I am replying only to Hackers-IL.

        The big bummer (noticed by several other people as well) is the apparent
        intention to support only ASCII.

        One of the bloggers suggested that it would have been better if Paul
        Graham announced that he supports only octets, and let users build
        Unicode libraries over the language.

        I think that such languages would benefit from support for two Unicode
        string representations:
        1. utf-8 - strings built of octets, and each glyph occupies variable
        number of octets.
        2. ucs-32 (with option to change to ucs-40, ucs-48, etc. in the future)
        - strings of glyphs, such that each glyph consists of a fixed number of
        octets. The basic language design needs to provide for an easy way to
        enlarge the number of octets per glyph in the future.

        Anything which I overlooked?

        --- Omer

        --
        One does not make peace with enemies. One makes peace with former
        enemies.