"Religious" or "Holy" Wars

  • Uri Even-Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2007
      In relation to "religious" or "holy" wars in computers, I would like
      to mention the two major world wars: PC vs. Macintosh and Windows vs.
      Linux (and of course, all other versions of OS). I would like to
      relate to the second world war: Windows vs. Linux. Although I like
      very much the concept of Open Source Free Software, and I hate very
      much the concepts of proprietary software, copyrights, software
      license, closed source software and software monopolies, I personally
      find it very difficult to switch from Windows to any version of Linux
      I tried. And when I think about most of the people I know who use
      computers, I think it's almost impossible for them to stop using
      Windows. They are used to Windows, it's easy to use, all their
      friends use it (so they can always share their knowledge with them)
      and they can even get it for free (without paying) although it's not
      always legal but nobody cares. People want the work to be done. And
      as long as it's easier and/or takes less time to do the work with
      Windows, that's what they will do. I have seen computers in many
      places - homes, offices, public places and also in other countries.
      They all use Windows. Most people use computers for surfing the web,
      using e-mail and sometimes programs such as Word and Excel. They
      don't need anything more than a basic computer with Windows has. So
      with all the respect I have (and I have) for Free Software, I just
      can't see how most of the population will stop using Windows and
      switch to anything else.

      The only way I can see people will do it, is if there will be an OS
      which is 100% compatible with Windows, looks like Windows and people
      would not feel any difference when using it. Then nobody would object
      it to be Free and Open Source. But if people need to switch to
      something new, something they don't know, while all their friends are
      still using Windows, I don't see any chance that most of the
      population will do it. It's like driving on either the left or the
      right side of the street. The change is so big, so nobody wants to
      change. People keep driving on the same side they are used to.

      I want all of you to have Shana Tova Umetuka - sweet and happy new
      year to you and your family. I wish you to learn new things, meet new
      people and go to places you haven't been there before, and also come
      back to loved places where you have been and meet again people you
      know.

      Best Regards,
      Uri Even-Chen