Spotted on #perl

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi all!

      (Please reply only to one list, unless you're subscribed to more).

      Here are two edited conversations that recently took place on Freenode's #perl
      channel and which I added to my fortunes' collection:

      http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/

      I am rindolf. They should be somewhat amusing and hopefully they can start an
      interesting conversation here.

      {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
      <ferret> LeoNerd: That was one of the first blobs of Java I wrote,
      it's allowed to be even more verbose and convoluted than
      Java normally is. ;P
      <rindolf> ferret: link?
      <ferret> /las Cat.java
      <rindolf> ferret: an implementation of the UNIX "cat" program in
      Java??
      <ferret> Actually, specifically the GNU cat program, and only a
      subset thereof.
      <rindolf> ferret: oh.
      <rindolf> ferret: how many lines did it take?
      * f00li5h heads off to #codegolf and tries to convince them to
      allow java submissions
      <ferret> rindolf: It's mostly argument parser.
      <rindolf> ferret: I once implemented a parser for a subset of the
      Bourne Shell args, in really hideous ANSI C.
      <rindolf> f00li5h: good luck.
      <rindolf> f00li5h: Java Golf...
      <f00li5h> yeah, for sure!
      <rindolf> Java Golf would be longer than a non-Golfed Perl program.
      <f00li5h> rindolf: this is true
      <rindolf> f00li5h: COBOL Golf!

      The Pyramid of Code Golf on Freenode's #perl
      }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

      and:

      {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{
      <pasteling> "struggling intern" at 129.162.1.31 pasted "Here it
      is.." (220 lines, 5.7K) at
      http://sial.org/pbot/25279
      <strugglingintern> woohoo
      <strugglingintern> there it goes...
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: oh my god!
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: this code looks really bad.
      <strugglingintern> heh...
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: if ($records eq 0 ) - don't you
      want ($records == 0)?
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: do you have unit tests?
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: and you should factor it better.
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: and possibly use Template Toolkit
      or something.
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: and you may have some
      HTML-injection (or XSS) problems.
      <Ani-_> rindolf: and probably SQL injection problems.
      <rindolf> Ani-_: indeed!
      <strugglingintern> :-/
      <Ani-_> strugglingintern: really, ask them to review that
      code when they get back.
      <strugglingintern> alright
      <strugglingintern> I appreciate it anyway
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: how long have you been
      programming perl?
      <strugglingintern> hah, about 3 months
      <strugglingintern> This isn't all my code ;)
      <strugglingintern> I'll look into it
      <strugglingintern> Thanks guys (and gals).
      <rindolf> strugglingintern: you're welcome.
      <strugglingintern> not my choice ;)
      <strugglingintern> it's my 3rd week here :)
      <rindolf> Amazing how much more experienced programmers can
      tell a code is bad from a quick glance.
      <rindolf> It's a bit scary.
      <Ani-_> nothing amazing about it. It's called skill. :)
      <The_SB> yeh even I can tell it by a look
      <ology> It's not scary or amazing at all.
      <ology> It is called experience!
      <Ani-_> rindolf: what do you find scary?
      <Ani-_> rindolf: that experienced programmers can tell it?
      Or the code itself?
      <Ani-_> I would disagree on the first one but agree on the
      later! :)
      <rindolf> Ani-_: no, that I'm so experienced.
      <rindolf> Ani-_: I hope I don't sound out as a snob.
      <ology> narcissism is fun
      <rindolf> I should get a life.
      <rindolf> Get a girlfriend, go to movies.
      <rindolf> Instead all I do is write Perl.
      <rindolf> And chat about writing Perl.
      <Ikarus> a life, tried that, didn't mix with me

      -- Scary Perl Expertise on Freenode's #perl

      -- An Israeli Linuxer