Re: [hackers-il] Two New Software-Related Ideas

  • Beni Cherniavsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 27, 2006
      On 25/10/06, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
      > One problem Nadav once mentioned with the info pages, is that they are split
      > into several sections and sub-sections and so one cannot search them for a
      > keyword as conveniently as one can using a man page.

      ``info foo | less`` gives you the whole manual in one document. But
      this loses hyperlinks and gains nothing.

      As amit says, `Ctrl-S` and `/` work accross sections in the standalone
      `info` reader. `i` searches the index which is usually high-quality.

      > > 3) The major problem is that the standard browser (info info -
      > > contains a tutorial), is very emacs-ish, which, while immediate and
      > > intuitive to some of us, is intimidating to others.
      >
      > I could never get the hang of the "info" command line. :-)

      `pinfo` is friendlier but less powerful. Browser access (e.g. dwww)
      is probably your best option today.

      > > Debian provides a nice set of tools, which should let you read all
      > > docs (man, info and html-docs) of installed packages using your web
      > > browser ( I think most packages do register themself using doc-base) .
      > > I believe the 3 alternatives are "dwww","doc-central" and "dhelp"
      > > (each having different set of capabilities and different requirements
      > > - e.g. dhelp does not require a webserver)
      > > This is all I can say right now - since I did not yet try any of the 3.
      >
      > Interesting. I suppose it uses texinfo2html and man2html. Not precisely the
      > level of integration that I'm looking for.

      What's missing?

      --
      Beni Cherniavsky <cben@...> (I read email only on weekends)